A. Ernest Fitzgerald, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is management systems deputy, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for the development of improved management controls generally, specifically including management information control systems, economic cost effectiveness analysis, statistical programs and analysis, cost estimating and analysis, and productivity enhancement and measurement. The latter responsibility includes supervising Air Force performance measurement activities.
Following service in the U.S. Navy, Fitzgerald attended the University of Alabama and earned a bachelor of science degree in industrial engineering. He is a registered professional engineer and has worked on several successful patents, including one issued in his name. He is the author of "The High Priests of Waste" and "The Pentagonists."
1951 Bachelor of Science degree in industrial engineering, University of Alabama
1. 1951 -1953, quality control engineer, Stockham Valves and Fitting Co., Birmingham, Ala.
2. 1953 - 1954, quality control engineer, Hayes Aircraft Corp.
3. 1954 - 1957, senior plant industrial engineer, Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corp.
4. 1957 - 1961, managing associate and principal, Arthur Young and Co.
5. 1962 - 1965, president, Performance Technology Corp.
6. 1965 - 1970, deputy for management systems, U.S. Air Force
7. 1970 - 1973, consultant to Joint Economic Committee, House Post Office and Civil Service Commission, and corporate director of Rockland Industries
8. 1973 - 1982, deputy for productivity management, U.S. Air Force
9. 1982 - present, management systems deputy, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1967 Air Force nominee, Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
1973 Judge Henry T. Edgerton Award
1976 Freedom Award
1977 Marshall Engineers and Scientists Association Award
1986 Sigma Delta Chi First Amendment Award
1988 Cavallo Foundation Award
1989 First Amendment Award, Tau Beta Phi, Alpha Pi Mu and Phi Eta Sigma, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.
1996 The Paul H. Douglas in Government Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Institute of Industrial Engineering
American Society for Quality Control
Director, Fund for Constitutional Government
Past chairman, National Taxpayers Union
(Current as of June 1999)