Lieutenant General Albert J. Edmonds is director of the Defense Information Systems Agency, and manager, National Communications System, with headquarters in Arlington, Va. He is responsible for providing command, control, communications, computer and intelligence (C4I) support to the nation's warfighters.
The general entered the Air Force in August 1964 and was commissioned upon graduation from Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in November 1964. He has held many critical C4I positions, including deputy chief of staff for communications-computer systems, Tactical Air Command (dual-hatted as commander, Air Force Communication Command's Tactical Communications Division); assistant chief of staff, systems for command, control, communications and computers, Air Force headquarters; and director for Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate (J-6), the Joint Staff.
1964 Bachelor's degree in chemistry, Morris Brown College, Atlanta, Ga.
1969 Master of arts degree in counseling psychology, Hampton Institute, Hampton, Va.
1980 Distinguished graduate, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1987 National and International Security Program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1964 - February 1966, student, basic communications-electronics course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2. February 1966 - February 1969, data systems officer, tactical communications area, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
3. March 1969 - December 1971, inspection team chief and contributing editor on Project Corona Harvest, Pacific Communications Area Inspector General Office, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
4. December 1971 - December 1972, director, emergency mission support, Pacific communications area, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
5. December 1972 - May 1973, chief of operations, 2083rd Communications Squadron (Provisional), Takhli Royal Thai Air Base, Thailand
6. May 1973 - June 1975, communications systems staff officer, Directorate of Command, Control, and Communications, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. July 1975 - July 1977, chief, Commercial Communications Policy Office, Defense Communications Agency, Arlington, Va.
8. July 1977 - August 1979, director, communications-electronics, 3rd Air Division; commander, 27th Communications Squadron, Andersen Air Force Base, Guam
9. August 1979 - June 1980, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. June 1980 - June 1983, chief, Joint Matters Group, Directorate of Command, Control and Telecommunications, deputy chief of staff, plans and operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1983 - January 1985, vice commander, tactical communications division; assistant deputy chief of staff for communications and electronics, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
12. January 1985 - July 1988, commander, tactical communications division, deputy chief of staff for communications-computer systems, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
13. July 1988 - May 1989, director, Command and Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate, U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
14. May 1989 - November 1990, assistant chief of staff for command, control, communications and computers, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. November 1990 - August 1991, assistant deputy chief of staff for command, control, communications and computers, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. September 1991 - July 1994, director, Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate (J-6), the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
17. July 1994 - present, director, Defense Information Systems Agency and manager, National Communications System, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov 10, 1964
First Lieutenant May 10, 1966
Captain May 2, 1968
Major Dec 1, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1976
Colonel Feb 1, 1980
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1988
Major General Feb 1, 1991
Lieutenant General Mar 26, 1993
(Current as of January 1995)