Blaise J. Durante, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy Assistant Secretary for Acquisition Integration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C. Mr. Durante manages the acquisition staff organization charged with planning, managing and analyzing the Air Force's research and development, and acquisition investment budget. Mr. Durante oversees the integration of research, development and acquisition budget formulation and execution, and directs streamlined management team activities, including Air Force acquisition reform and reduction in total ownership cost efforts. He directs the development of weapon system acquisition policy including program direction.
Mr. Durante serves as the Chief Financial Officer for the modernization accounts. As Director for Air Force Contracted Advisory and Assistance Services, Mr. Durante directs and is accountable for the Air Force's CAAS programs. He is responsible for acquisition professional development, including directing, coordinating and reviewing actions mandated by the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act and Department of Defense directives. Mr. Durante also manages acquisition reporting systems and the Air Force's international RD&A programs. He is a member of the Air Force Board, Air Force Budget Review Group, Defense Acquisition History Team and Headquarters Resource Allocation Process Integrated Process Team. He serves as Chief of Staff for the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition and the Program Executive Officer Organization, and is responsible for operations support for the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition.
Mr. Durante retired from the Air Force as a colonel in May 1992 and entered the Senior Executive Service. He retired from the Senior Executive Service in October 2012.
1966 Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, Mass.
1972 Master's degree candidate in chemical engineering, University of Dayton, Ohio
1973 Master's degree in management and supervision, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1986 Master's degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
Level III DAWIA Certification in Program Management, Defense Acquisition University, Ft. Belvoir, VA
Executive Certificate, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Executive Certificate, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
1. July 1966 - March 1967, technical service engineer, Allied Chemical Corp., Solvey, N.Y.
2. June 1967 - June 1970, project engineer, Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. July 1970 - January 1973, Chief of Management Operations, Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. February 1973 - April 1974, Research and Development Resource Manager, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. April 1974 - August 1977, Special Assistant to the Vice Commander, AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
6 September 1977 - June 1979, Chief of Engineering Management, Contract Management Division, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
7. June 1979 - July 1980, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1980 - June 1983, Chief, Program Control Division, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
9. June 1983 - January 1985, Joint Service Program Director, Electronic Systems Command, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
10. January 1985 - July 1985, Assistant Deputy for Financial Management, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
11. August 1985 - June 1986, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
12. June 1986 - March 1987, Deputy Director for Tactical System Planning, AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. March 1987 - September 1988, Director for Acquisition Plans and Policy, AFSC, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. September 1988 - May 1992, Assistant Deputy Assistant Secretary for Management Policy and Program Integration, Washington, D.C.
15. May 1992 - October 1994, Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Management Policy and Program Integration, Washington, D.C.
16. October 1994 - February 2003, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Management Policy and Program Integration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
17. February 2003 - September 2012, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Acquisition Integration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Outstanding Civilian Career Service Award
1982 Estimator of the Year, New England Chapter, National Estimating Society
Career Broadening Personnel Manager of the Year, AFSC
Commander's Citation for Internal Laboratory Management
1996 Award for Excellence, Office of the Secretary of Defense
1996 Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award
2001 Presidential Distinguished Executive Rank Award
2007 National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations Ellis Island Medal of Honor
2007 Federal 100 Award (Information Technology)
2012 Chief, National Guard Bureau Civilian Excellence Award
(Current as October 2012)