William A. Davidson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is the Air Force's senior career civilian adviser to the Secretary. He performs high-level assignments following the Secretary's policies, goals and objectives. He manages and supports administratively the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, its 1,650-member Secretariat and supported Field Operating Agencies. These include manpower, people, organization, budget, supply and the Secretary's contingency fund; information, personnel and industrial security; security oversight for U.S. treaty issues; special access programs; and antiterrorism. He also establishes policy and oversees worldwide Air Force Departmental Publishing, the Air Force Declassification Office, the Air Force Art Program Office, and the Air Force Executive Dining Facility. As the senior Air Force security official, Mr. Davidson develops and executes policy for the Air Force Central Adjudication Facility. He provides engineering and executive support to Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
Prior to becoming the Administrative Assistant in 1994, Mr. Davidson was the Deputy Administrative Assistant from 1990 to 1994. He served as an active-duty Air Force officer for more than 22 years, serving as an AFOSI agent and Chief of the Air Force Polygraph Program. At the time of his retirement from active duty, he was the Deputy for Security and Investigative Programs with the Office of the Administrative Assistant. He retired in the rank of colonel and entered the Senior Executive Service in 1990.
1968 Bachelor of Science degree in law enforcement and corrections, Florida State University
1968 U.S. Air Force Special Investigations School, Washington, D.C.
1970 U.S. Army Polygraph School, Fort Gordon, Ga.
1974 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1976 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1978 Master of Science degree in criminal justice, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1981 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1984 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1991 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1991 Senior Leader Officer's Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
1995 Systems Acquisition Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1996 Developing the Strategic Leader, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1997 National Security Decision Making, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
2008 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2009 Cyberspace Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. 1968, commissioned a second lieutenant through ROTC program; graduated from the Air Force Special Investigations School, Washington, D.C.
2. 1969 - 1983, Special Agent, Air Force Office of Special Investigations
3. 1983 - 1986, Assistant for Plans and Programs, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. 1986 - 1988, Military Assistant, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. 1988 - 1990, Deputy for Security and Investigative Programs, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. 1990 - 1994, Deputy Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. 1994 - present, Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
1994, 1997 and 2001 Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Award
1996, 2010 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2000 and 2005 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Board of Directors, Washington Chapter, National Defense Industrial Association
Air Force Association
International Association of Chiefs of Police
American Society of Industrial Security
Chairman, Department of Defense Concessions Committee
(Current as of July 2011)