Major General John P. Casciano is director of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, deputy chief of staff, air and space operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is the headquarters proponent and functional manager for all Air Force reconnaissance, surveillance, intelligence and information warfare capabilities and serves as the Air Force's Senior Official of the Intelligence Community (SOIC) in accordance with director of central intelligence directives. In addition, he provides headquarters oversight for the Air Intelligence Agency, an Air Force field operating agency.
The general entered the Air Force in 1967 as a graduate of the Georgetown University Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has served in senior staff officer positions in the Pentagon; Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.; Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.; and Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, West Germany. During Vietnam, he served as an intelligence analyst and briefer with Task Force Alpha, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.
1965 Bachelor of science degree in languages, cum laude, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1972 Master of arts degree in political science, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1973 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1979 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy
1991 Harvard University's Program for Senior Officials in National Security, Mass.
1992 CAPSTONE, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1994 Harvard University's Program for Senior Executives in National and International Security, Mass.
1995 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. April 1967 - January 1968, student, Armed Forces Intelligence Training Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
2. February 1968 - October 1969, chief, intelligence division, Headquarters 35th Air Division, Air Defense Command, Hancock Field, N.Y.
3. October 1969 - October 1970, intelligence watch officer, intelligence analyst and briefer, and chief, analysis and estimates branch, Task Force Alpha, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
4. November 1970 - July 1974, intelligence plans and programs officer, and intelligence education, training and career development officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1974 - July 1978, assistant professor of political science, squadron faculty officer, assistant air officer commanding and director of the 20th Air Force Academy Assembly, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
6. August 1978 - June 1979, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. June 1979 - January 1983, chief, intelligence plans and policy division; deputy director, intelligence plans; and executive to the deputy chief of staff, intelligence; Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
8. January 1983 - July 1983, student, NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy
9. July 1983 - July 1987, chief, intelligence plans and programs branch; and chief, intelligence plans division; Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, West Germany
10. July 1987 - July 1988, director of warning and regional assessments, Air Force Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1988 - June 1991, director of policy, plans and programs, assistant chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. June 1991 - May 1992, deputy chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
13. June 1992 - May 1993, deputy chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
14. May 1993 - October 1994, director of plans and requirements, assistant chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. October 1994 - January 1996, commander, Air Intelligence Agency, and director, Joint Command and Control Warfare Center, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
16. January 1996 - December 1996, assistant chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. January 1997 - present, director of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, deputy chief of staff, air and space operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Vietnam Service Medal with four bronze service stars
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Republic of France Ordre national du Mrite, with the rank of officer
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jul 10, 1965
First Lieutenant Apr 11, 1968
Captain Oct 11, 1969
Major Apr 1, 1977
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1981
Colonel Nov 1, 1985
Brigadier General Jul 2, 1992
Major General Jul 1, 1995
(Current as of September 1998)