Brig. Gen. Barry W. Barksdale is vice commander of 12th Air Force, U.S. Southern Command Air Forces, and Air Force component U.S. Strategic Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. Twelfth Air Force ensures the operational readiness of eight active-duty wings in the western and midwestern United States and Panama. The wings comprise more than 450 aircraft and 35,000 active-duty and civilian personnel, with an additional 17,800 people and more than 310 aircraft assigned as gained units of the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard. The general's duties also involve overseeing U.S. Air Force assets provided to U.S. Southern Command in Central and South America as vice commander of the air component for that unified command. He also serves as the Air Force vice commander of U.S. Strategic Command's battle management component.
The general is a 1972 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy where he earned a bachelor of science degree in history. He has commanded a fighter squadron, support group, operations group and two wings. He served as the executive officer to the deputy chief of staff for plans at Tactical Air Command and was responsible for all Department of Defense counternarcotics detection and monitoring assets while serving in the Operations Directorate on the Joint Staff. The general is a graduate of the Army War College and the Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, and is a fully qualified joint service officer.
1972 Bachelor of science degree in history, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1981 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1984 U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1985 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1988 Air War College, by correspondence
1988 Master of arts degree in management, University of Phoenix
1991 Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1992 Joint Professional Military Education - Phase II, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1972 - June 1973, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. August 1973 - November 1973, student, A-7D pilot training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. November 1973 - December 1976, A-7D aircraft commander, 75th Tactical Fighter Squadron, England Air Force Base, La.
4. December 1976 - March 1977, OV-10 forward air controller training, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
5. March 1977 - April 1978, wing scheduler, 51st Composite Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
6. April 1978 - February 1981, chief of weapons and tactics, later, assistant operations officer, 549th Tactical Air Support Training Squadron, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
7. February 1981 - March 1981, student, A-10A training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
8. March 1981 - September 1983, flight commander, 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, S.C.
9. September 1983 - September 1986, action officer, later, executive officer to the deputy chief for plans, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
10. October 1986 - November 1986, student, A-10 recurrency training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
11. December 1986 - December 1987, operations officer, 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
12. January 1988 - July 1990, commander, 357th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, later, assistant deputy commander for operations, 355th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
13. August 1990 - June 1991, student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
14. June 1991 - June 1993, chief, Detection and Monitoring Branch, Counternarcotics Operations Division, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. June 1993 - June 1994, commander, 554th Support Group, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
16. July 1994 - September 1995, commander, 57th Operations Group, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
17. September 1995 - July 1997, commander, 355th Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
18. July 1997 - May 1999, commander, 37th Training Wing, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
19. May 1999 - present, vice commander, 12th Air Force, U.S. Southern Command Air Forces, and Air Force component U.S. Strategic Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,400
Aircraft flown: A-7, OV-10 and A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Vietnam Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 7, 1972
First Lieutenant Jun 7, 1974
Captain Jun 7, 1976
Major Feb 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1987
Colonel Jan 1, 1992
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1997
(Current as of January 2002)