General George T. Babbitt is commander of the Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The command conducts research, development, test and evaluation, and provides acquisition management services and logistics support necessary to keep Air Force weapons systems ready for war.
The general was commissioned in 1965 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Washington. He trained as an aircraft maintenance officer and served as officer in charge of fighter flight lines in the United States, the Pacific and Europe. He twice commanded aircraft maintenance squadrons and was deputy commander for maintenance of a European F-15 wing.
Prior to assuming his current position, General Babbitt was director of the Defense Logistics Agency at Fort Belvoir, Va. His recent assignments include deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force; deputy director for materiel management, Defense Logistics Agency; director of supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and director of logistics for both Headquarters Air Training Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe.
1965 Bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering, University of Washington, Seattle
1970 Master of science degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1975 Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1978 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1986 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1989 The Executive Development Program, Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University, Ill.
1993 Program for Senior Managers in Government, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Mass.
1. June 1965 - February 1966, student, aircraft maintenance officer course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
2. February 1966 - June 1969, RF-4C maintenance officer, Royal Air Force Station Alconbury, England
3. June 1969 - September 1970, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
4. September 1970 - September 1971, squadron maintenance officer, 12th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam
5. September 1971 - August 1973, maintenance planner, B-1A System Program Office, Rockwell International, Los Angeles
6. August 1973 - January 1976, support equipment and spares manager, B-1A System Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
7. January 1976 - January 1978, deputy program manager for logistics, Precision Location Strike System Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
8. January 1978 - July 1978, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. July 1978 - August 1980, maintenance officer and later, commander, 1st Aircraft Generation Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
10. August 1980 - September 1981, commander, 36th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
11. September 1981 - July 1985, assistant deputy commander for maintenance and later, deputy commander for maintenance, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
12. July 1985 - June 1986, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. June 1986 - June 1990, division chief and later, deputy director of logistics plans and programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. June 1990 - July 1992, director, logistics, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
15. July 1992 - June 1993, director, logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
16. June 1993 - March 1994, director of supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. April 1994 - June 1995, deputy director of materiel management, Defense Logistics Agency, Alexandria, Va.
18. June 1995 - October 1996, deputy chief of staff for logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. October 1996 - May 1997, director, Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
20. May 1997 - present, commander, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 19, 1965
First Lieutenant Nov 30, 1966
Captain Jun 12, 1968
Major Feb 1, 1975
Lieutenant Colonel Nov 1, 1979
Colonel Aug 1, 1984
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1990
Major General Jul 1, 1993
Lieutenant General Jul 1, 1995
General Jun 1, 1997
(Current as of September 1998)