Brig. Gen. Russell J. Anarde is Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. He is responsible for programming and advocating resources for the command; planning for the command's force structure, bases and facilities; and managing the command's manpower and quality, international relations and foreign disclosure programs. General Anarde interfaces with the Air Staff, implementing and supporting other commands to ensure command requirements and fiscal constraints are met. He also works with U.S. Space Command and U.S. Strategic Command to develop integrated priority lists that will fulfill warfighting needs. He manages the personnel manning and budget responsibilities of seven divisions.
General Anarde entered the Air Force in 1973 as a distinguished graduate of Washington State University's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He is a career space and missile officer with commands in a Minuteman missile squadron, operations group and wing, and a space warning and surveillance operations group. General Anarde has operations experience in the Titan II, Minuteman II and Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles.
1973 Bachelor of arts degree in business administration, Washington State University
1977 Master of business administration degree, University of Utah
1979 Master of science degree in logistics management, School of Systems and Logistics, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1981 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1989 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1996 Program for Executives, Carnegie-Mellon University
1. January 1974 - March 1974, student, Titan II missile combat crew training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1974 - May 1974, student, Titan II initial qualification training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
3. May 1974 - July 1979, deputy missile combat commander, missile combat crew commander, and instructor and evaluator, 308th Strategic Missile Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
4. July 1979 - June 1983, site maintenance officer; chief of maintenance programs; chief of the Missile Mechanical Branch; officer in charge of team training; and job control officer, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
5. June 1983 - June 1984, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
6. June 1984 - June 1986, Chief of Missile Officer Assignments, Directorate of Assignments, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
7. June 1986 - July 1988, Commander, 741st Strategic Missile Squadron, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
8. August 1988 - July 1989, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. July 1989 - February 1992, Deputy Chief, Arms Control Division, and Chief, Nuclear and Missile Division, Directorate of Plans and Policy, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
10. March 1992 - March 1993, Commander, 351st Operations Group, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo.
11. March 1993 - July 1993, head of the space and missile transition team, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
12. July 1993 - June 1994, Chief, Missile Systems Requirements Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
13. June 1994 - June 1995, Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
14. June 1995 - August 1996, Deputy Director of Operational Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. August 1996 - April 1998, Commander, 91st Space Wing, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
16. April 1998 - August 1999, Deputy Director for Operations, National Military Command Center, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
17. August 1999 - present, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
Master missileer, master space and missile operations
Weapons systems: Titan II, Minuteman II and Minuteman III
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
(Current as of May 2002)