Maj. Gen. Frederick Lewis Anderson Jr., was born at Kingston, N.Y., in 1905. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy June 9, 1928, and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Cavalry.
That September General Anderson entered Primary Flying School at Brooks Field, Texas, graduated from Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas, a year later, and transferred to the Air Corps Nov. 1, 1929. Assigned to the 99th Observation Squadron at Mitchell Field, N.Y., he later joined the Fourth Composite Group at Nichols Field in the Philippines, serving in various capacities until October 1934.
Assigned with the 91st Observation Squadron at Crissy Field, Calif., in April 1935, he transferred to Hamilton Field, Calif., and that November he joined the Ninth Bomb Squadron there. In September 1936 he transferred to the Seventh Bomb Group there as Flight Commander and Operations Officer.
Two years later General Anderson assumed command of the 21st Air Base Squadron at Lowry Field, Denver, Colo. Entering the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., in January 1940, he graduated the following April and remained at Lowry Field as commander of the Second School Squadron, becoming director of Bombardier Instruction at the Air Corps Tactical School there in July 1940.
The following May General Anderson was assigned as assistant to the chief of the Training Section, Training and Operations Division, Office of the Chief of Air Corps, Washington D. C., becoming deputy director of bombardment there in January 1942. A year later he was appointed commanding general of the Eighth Bomber Command in the European Theater of Operations.
His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit and Distinguished Flying Cross. He is rated a senior pilot and combat observer.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
He was promoted to first lieutenant (permanent) May 16, 1934; to captain (temporary) May 25, 1935; to captain (permanent) June 9, 1938; to major (temporary) Jan. 31, 1941; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) Jan. 5, 1942; to colonel (temporary) March 1, 1942; to brigadier general (temporary) Feb. 7, 1943; to major general (temporary) Nov. 4, 1943.
(Up to date as of Sept. 30, 1947)