Brig. Gen. Winston P. Anderson is inspector general, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. In this position, he evaluates and reports on the readiness, effectiveness and efficiency of the command. He is responsible for the accomplishment of operational readiness inspections, security and law enforcement, safety and special investigations within PACAF.
General Anderson was born in Birmingham, Ala., in 1920, where he graduated from high school. He attended the University of Alabama from 1938 to 1941 and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., in June 1944 with a bachelor degree, a commission as a second lieutenant and pilot wings. He completed pilot training at Stewart Field, N.Y., while a cadet at the academy.
Upon graduation from the academy, he completed aircraft commander transition and combat crew training in B-24 and B-29 aircraft. In February 1946, he was assigned to Maxwell Field, Ala., as an administrative officer and staff pilot at the Air War College. He moved to Ramey Air Force Base, Puerto Rico, in October 1948 as director of training of the Antilles Air Division.
In November 1949 he was assigned to detached service with the Directorate of Personnel Plans at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In August 1950 he was assigned as administrative assistant and pilot to the commanding general, Headquarters Air Research and Development Command, Washington, D.C., and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
He became aide and pilot to the commanding general, Headquarters Allied Air Force, Southern Europe with duty at Florence, Italy, in October 1951 and in January 1953, became chief, Special Operations Branch, Headquarters Allied Air Force, Southern Europe with duty at Florence and Naples.
General Anderson attended the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., from August 1954 to July 1955. He then was assigned as deputy executive and later as executive, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Manpower, Personnel and Reserve Forces), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
He returned to Maxwell in July 1959 and attended the Air War College. Upon graduation in July 1960 he was transferred to Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., as commander of an RF-101 squadron and later as director of operations, 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing.
In February 1962, General Anderson went to Tan Son Nhut Airfield, Republic of Vietnam, as director of operations, Headquarters Second Air Division. He returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in May 1963, and was assigned as branch and then division chief of the Special Warfare Division, Directorate of Plans.
General Anderson was transferred to Ramstein Air Base, Germany, in August 1957 as vice commander, 26th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. In July 1968 he became commander, 10th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Royal Air Force, Alconbury, England. During his tour of duty as commander, the wing was awarded the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for its performance from July 1968 to July 1969. The wing also was awarded the Columbia Trophy for 1969 for its meritorious achievements in flight safety, operations and mission accomplishment.
In July 1970, General Anderson was assigned to the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as deputy director for operations (National Military Command Center) of the Joint Staff. He assumed his present position as inspector general, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, in September 1971.
Hia military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters, Air Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal, and Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon. He is a command pilot.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of brigadier general effective Feb. 4, 1970, with date of rank Feb. 4, 1970.
(Current as of Nov. 1, 1971)