Dr. Marlin U. Thomas is Dean, Graduate School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The school's mission is to provide advanced education in areas of engineering, science and management critical to maintaining the Air Force's technical superiority.
Dr. Thomas received his professional education from the University of Michigan. He has held several academic and leadership appointments at private and state universities. These positions include faculty, department head and research center directorships. He also served a 32-year combined active and reserve career as a Navy civil engineer corps officer. He held several command and staff assignments, including naval construction battalion and regimental commands.
Dr. Thomas' research interests are in stochastic modeling, reliability and evaluating logistics systems with emphasis on optimal design for contingency operations. He has authored or co-authored more than 80 archival articles and delivered more than 100 presentations at major conferences. He has served on six editorial boards, including area editor for Operations Research, department editor for IIE Transactions and consulting editor for McGraw-Hill. He has also served on numerous national committees, boards, and advisory panels for academics and research, and is a former member of the Army Science Board.
1967 Bachelor of Science degree in industrial engineering, University of Michigan-Dearborn
1968 Master of Science degree in industrial engineering, University of Michigan
1971 Doctor of Philosophy degree in industrial and operations engineering, University of Michigan
1. 1971 - 1976, assistant professor, later, associate professor, Department of Operations Research, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2. 1976 - 1978, associate professor, Systems Design Department, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
3. 1978 - 1979, Manager, Planning and Analysis, Vehicle Reliability and Warranty, Chrysler Corporation, Detroit, Mich.
4. 1979 - 1982, Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia
5. 1982 - 1987, Professor and Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering, and founding interim Director, Cleveland Advanced Manufacturing Program, Cleveland State University, Ohio
6. 1987 - 1988, Director, Operations Research Program, Division for Electrical, Communications and Systems Engineering, National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C.
7. 1988 - 1993, Professor and Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
8. 1993 - 2006, Professor and Head, School of Industrial Engineering, and Director, Institute for Interdisciplinary Engineering Studies, College of Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
9. 2006 - present, Dean, Graduate School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
1985 College of Engineering Man of the Year, Cleveland State University
1996 Distinguished Alumnus, University of Michigan-Dearborn
2002 President's Award, Institute of Industrial Engineers
2003 James H. Greene Outstanding Graduate Educator Award, Purdue University
2004 Engagement/Service Excellence Award, Purdue University
2004 Albert G. Holzman Distinguished Educator Award, IIE
2005 Frank Groseclose Medallion Award, IIE
2006 Wellington Award for Research in Engineering Economy, IIE
2008 Frank and Lillian Gilbreth Industrial Engineering Award, IIE
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Indian Science and Engineering Society
American Society for Engineering Education
Fellow, American Society for Quality
Fellow and former President, Institute of Industrial Engineers
Fellow and former Secretary, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences
Registered Professional Engineer, Michigan
Former Area Editor, Military, Operations Research
Former Department Editor, Stochastic Modeling, IIE Transactions
Associate Editor, Computers and Industrial Engineering
Former Consulting Editor, McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia for Science and Technology
(Current as of October 2009)