Mr. Eugene G. Pino, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Joint Training, Education and Exercises, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. He oversees the development, design, implementation, and execution of all training, education, and exercise programs for both commands in the areas of homeland defense, defense support to civil authorities, aerospace warning and aerospace control. Additionally, Mr. Pino is responsible for training and outreach programs for the National Guard joint task force commanders and joint force headquarters staffs of the 54 states and territories. He established the Homeland Security and Defense Education Consortium consisting of more than 250 academic institutions.
Mr. Pino brings to his position more than 40 years of experience in the defense training community. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1969 and served for 35 years, retiring in 2004 as a colonel. During that time he served in combat billets from forward observer to battalion commander and Commander of the U.S. Marine Corps Combined Arms Training Center, Japan.
Prior to his current assignment, he was the Chief of Joint Training, Joint Forces Command, and Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters Homeland Security. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2006.
1986 Bachelor of Arts degree in education, Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.
1999 Master of Arts degree in Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. June 1986 - June 1988, Commanding Officer, Battery F, 2nd Battalion, 11th Marines; logistics officer, 2nd Battalion, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
2. June 1988 - June 1992, Commanding Officer, Recruiting Station, 6th Marine Corps District, Nashville, Tenn.
3. May 1996 - February 1998, Commanding Officer, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
4. February 1998 - July 1998, Deputy Director and Director of the Tactical Exercise Control Group, Marine Corps Combat Development Command, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
5. July 1999 - July 2000, Marine Corps Fellow, Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Group, Newport, R.I.
6. July 2000 - May 2001, Commanding Officer, Marine Corps Combined Arms Training Center, Camp Fuji, Japan
7. June 2001 - September 2001, Chief, Joint Deployable Training Team, U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
8. October 2001 - October 2002, Chief of Staff, Joint Force Headquarters Homeland Security, U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
9. October 2002 - present, Director, Joint Training, Education and Exercises (J7), NORAD and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
1999 Established Gotemba City, Japan-U.S. Marine Corps Cooperation Committee
2002 Served as senior member of Joint Forces Command's Element of the NORTHCOM Implementation Planning Team
"Combined Arms Fire Support on the Modern Battlefield," Field Artillery Journal, 1986
"Effects-based Planning," Naval War College Research Papers Library, 1998
Co-author, "Seabased Logistics in Operational Maneuver from the Sea," Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Group XIX Report, 2000
(Current as of October 2009)