George E. Mooney, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. He is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of scientific and engineering support provided to weapon systems developed and acquired by the Weapons Product Directorate. He assures the proper allocation of personnel, and the engineering and acquisition processes and tools for Eglin’s program offices. He is Eglin’s senior scientist & engineering manager and provides executive leadership and functional direction to a work force of more than 1,200 S&E professionals supporting Eglin’s mission. On behalf of SAF-CIO he also serves as the Air Force’s Weapons Authorizing Official.
Mr. Mooney has 37 years of weapon system acquisition experience in system program offices at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, and Eglin AFB, as well as research laboratory experience at Eglin's Munitions Directorate. Prior to his current assignment, he was Director of the Air Force Center for Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB. He assumed his present position in August 2009.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in systems engineering, Wright State University, Ohio
1984 Master of Science degree in engineering management, University of Dayton, Ohio
1986 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1993 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1993 Senior Acquisition Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2004 National Security Management Course, The Maxwell School, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2005 Executive Leadership Program, Center for Creative Learning, Greensboro, N.C.
2006 Senior Executive Fellows Program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2008 Air Force Senior Executive Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Senior Acquisition Management for General/Flag Officers Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2009 APEX 29, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1979 - January 1980, mechanical engineer, Propulsion and Power Branch, Maintenance Systems Engineering Division, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. January 1980 - January 1981, mechanical engineer, Life Support Systems Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. January 1981 - October 1984, mechanical engineer, Strategic Systems Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. October 1984 - December 1989, mechanical engineer, Maintenance Systems Engineering, B-1B SPO, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. December 1989 - January 1992, Chief Engineer, Maintenance Systems Engineering, B-1B SPO, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. January 1992 - May 1992, Chief Engineer, B-1B Conventional Weapons Upgrade Program, Aircraft SPO, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. May 1992 - September 1992, mechanical engineer, Maintenance Systems Engineering Division, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. September 1992 - June 1993, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. June 1993 - May 1994, strategic planner, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. May 1994 - June 1995, Chief Engineer and Program Director, Global Positioning Systems Range Applications Joint Program Office, ASC, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. June 1995 - August 1997, Chief Systems Engineer, Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile Program Office, Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. August 1997 - December 2000, Technical Director, Armament Product Directorate, AAC, Eglin AFB, Fla.
13. January 2001 - August 2004, Chief of Ordnance Division, Munitions Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Eglin AFB, Fla.
14. September 2004 - November 2005, Deputy Director, Munitions Directorate, AFRL, Eglin AFB, Fla.
15. November 2005 - April 2006, Director of Engineering, Mobility Systems Wing, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. April 2006 - August 2009, Director, Air Force Center for Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. August 2009 - present, Director, Engineering, Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2000 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2003 Special Act or Service Award
2005 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2005 Special Act or Service Awards (3)
2005 American Federation of Government Employees Local Partnership Council Best Practice Award, Air Force Materiel Command
2009 Meritorious Civilian Service Awards
2012 Civilian Achievement Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
1993 Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
1993 Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering, Level III, APDP
1993 Test and Evaluation, Level II, APDP
(Current as of January 2017)