R. Philip Deavel, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of the Air Force Review Boards Agency, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for the management and operations of the Air Force Personnel Council, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records, Air Force Civilian Appellate Review Office, Air Force Personnel Security Appeal Board and the Department of Defense Physical Disability Board of Review.
Mr. Deavel began his career as an Air Force Judge Advocate. He retired after 22 years of service in the grade of colonel. After leaving active duty, Mr. Deavel was employed as a civilian attorney for the DOD Education Activity, where his practice focused on labor and employment law. He joined the Air Force Office of General Counsel in 2003 where he served first as Director, Military Personnel Law, and then as the Deputy General Counsel for Dispute Resolution. He was the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Reserve Affairs before joining the Air Force Review Boards Agency in 2011.
1975 Bachelor of Science degree in Sociology, Suffolk University, Boston, Mass.
1980 Juris Doctor degree, University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford
1985 Master of Laws degree (labor law), George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, D.C.
1990 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1979 - commissioned a second lieutenant through ROTC program
2. July 1980 - June 1981, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Wurtsmith AFB, Mich.
3. July 1981 - July 1982, Area Defense Counsel, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. Aug 1982 - June 1984, Deputy Chief, Executive Services, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1984 - July 1986, Trial Attorney, Civilian Personnel Law, Air Force Litigation Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, DC
6. August 1986 - June 1989, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, McChord AFB, Wash.
7. July 1989 - July 1990, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. Aug 1990 - June 1993, Wing Staff Judge Advocate, Aviano AB, Italy
9. July 1993 - June 1995, Chief, Civil Law Division, Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 1995 - July 1997, Deputy Commandant, Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. August 1997 - June 1998, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 1998 - February 2002, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. February 2002 - June 2003, Assistant General Counsel, Department of Defense Education Activity, Arlington, Va.
14. July 2003 - February 2005, Associate General Counsel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, DC
15. February 2005 - April 2006, Director, Military Personnel Law, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. April 2006 - November 2009, Air Force Deputy General Counsel for Dispute Resolution, Office of the General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
17. November 2009 - June 2011, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Reserve Affairs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Manpower and Reserve Affairs), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. June 2011 - December 2011 - Chief Operating Officer, Air Force Review Boards Agency, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Washington, DC
19. Janruary 2012 - present, Director, Air Force Review Boards Agency, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Air Force Special Service Award
Educator of the Year Award, Eaker College for Professional Development, Air University
"Birmingham's Employment Discrimination War: A Clarion Call for Strict Meritocracy in Government Employment," 38 Air Force Law Review 197, 1994
"Rethinking Civil Litigation: The Potential for Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Air Force," The Reporter, Vol. 21, June 1994
"The Political Economy of Privatization for the American Military," Air Force Journal of Logistics, Vol. XXII, 1998
(Current as of January 2012)