Mr. James J. Brooks, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. In support of the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force, he assists in the oversight of the Nuclear Deterrence Operations and the Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction portfolios. He provides direction, guidance, integration and advocacy regarding the nuclear deterrence mission of the Air Force and engages with joint and interagency partners for nuclear enterprise solutions. He advises senior leaders on international treaties, arms control agreements, and treaty compliance and guides the development, integration and synchronization of Air Force countering weapons of mass destruction concepts, strategy, policy and guidance.
Mr. Brooks was commissioned in the Air Force upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1977. He served as a fighter pilot in the F-15, F-5 and F-111, and as a forward air controller flying O-2 and O/A-37 aircraft. Mr. Brooks served on the Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (NATO) operations staff and as a course director for the Air Command and Staff College. Following command, he was assigned to the Headquarters, U.S. Air Force as the Chief of Aircrew Management and then as Chief of the Operational Training Division. Mr. Brooks also served in the Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency as the Director of the Current Capabilities Analyses Directorate and later as the Agency’s Vice Director and Military Commander.
Mr Brooks retired from active duty in 2006 and returned to the Air Force as a senior level executive serving as the Senior Advisor for Force Structure and Operational Assessments, Studies and Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned (AF/A9). He entered the Senior Executive Service in 2008 as the Associate Director, AF Quadrennial Defense Review, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force. Prior to this assignment Mr Brooks was the Executive Director of the Air National Guard.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1985 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1987 Distinguished graduate, F-5 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Williams AFB, Ariz.
1992 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Master of Political Science degree, Auburn University, Montgomery, Ala.
1995 Air War College
1996 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, with highest distinction, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2011 Department of Defense APEX Senior Executive Orientation Program
2015 DoD Vanguard Senior Executive Development Program
2016 General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, John F. Kennedy School of Government Executive Education, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2016 Senior Executives in National and International Security Seminar, John F. Kennedy School of Government Executive Education, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2017 U.S. Air Force Advanced Senior Leader Development Program, Strategic Engagement Seminar
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. 1977 - 1978, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. 1979 - 1983, forward air controller, O-2A and O/A-37 instructor pilot, and Chief of Quality Assurance, 23rd and 27th Tactical Air Support Squadrons, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. 1983 - 1985, F-15 pilot and assistant flight commander, Chief of Scheduling, Training and Quality Assurance Sections, 48th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. 1985 - 1988, F-5 instructor pilot, Fighter Weapons School instructor, Chief of Scheduling, and flight commander, 425th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. 1988 - 1990, air operations staff officer, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe (NATO), Naples, Italy
6. 1990 - 1991, aide-de-camp to the Commander, Allied Air Forces Southern Europe/Deputy Commander-in-Chief U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Naples, Italy
7. 1991 - 1992, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. 1992 - 1994, course director, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. 1994 - 1995, F-111 pilot and assistant operations officer, 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
10. 1995 - 1996, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. 1996 - 1998, Commander, 364th Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
12. 1998 - 1999, Chief, Aircrew Management Branch, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. 1999 - 2003, Chief, Operational Training Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. 2003 - 2004, Director, Current Capabilities Analyses Directorate, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. 2004 - 2005, Vice Director and Military Commander, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. 2006 - 2008, Senior Advisor for Force Structure and Operational Assessments, Studies and Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned (AF/A9), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. 2008 – 2011, Associate Director, Air Force Quadrennial Defense Review, Office of the Air Force Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. 2011 – 2014, Deputy Director, Strategic Planning, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington DC.
19. 2014 - 2018, Executive Director, Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, Washington D.C.
20. 2018 – present, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters, US Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Order of Daedalians
Air Force Association
2014 US Air Force Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
2018 US Air Force Award for Meritorious Civilian Service
(Current as of January 2019)