Brig. Gen. Robert E. Bailey is Director of Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He is responsible for organizing, training and equipping the command's expeditionary combat support, which supports 76,100 Citizen Airmen and consists of more than 370 aircraft assigned to three numbered air forces, 36 wings, three flying groups, one space group and 620 mission support units. The command has assets located at 12 primary and 56 tenant locations with a $7.5 billion average plant replacement value and a $220.7 million annual operating budget. Air Force Reserve Command supports the Air Force mission to defend the United States through control and exploitation of air and space by supporting global engagement.
General Bailey was commissioned in June 1975 as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program at Auburn University and entered active duty in February 1976. He has commanded an operations group and wing, and served as assistant vice commander at the numbered air force level. Prior to his current assignment, the general was AFRC's Inspector General.
1975 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, Auburn University, Ala.
1985 Squadron Officer School
1986 Air Command and Staff College
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1976 - October 1981, B-52D navigator, 96th Bombardment Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
2. October 1981 - November 1986, AC-130 navigator and instructor navigator, 919th Special Operations Group, Duke Field, Fla.
3. November 1986 - October 1988, navigator supervisor, 96th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Minneapolis - St. Paul International Airport, Minn.
4. October 1988 - August 1991, tactical airlift staff officer, 4th Air Force, McClellan AFB, Calif.
5. August 1991 - November 1992, operations officer, 64th Airlift Squadron, O'Hare Air Reserve Station, Ill.
6. November 1992 - June 1996, Commander, 928th Operations Group, O'Hare ARS, Ill.
7. June 1996 - June 1997, Vice Commander, 928th Airlift Wing, O'Hare ARS, Ill.
8. July 1997 - June 1998, special assistant to the Commander, 440th Airlift Wing, General Mitchell International Airport, Wis.
9. June 1998 -September 1999, Commander, 927th Air Refueling Wing, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich.
10. September 1999 - July 2001, Assistant Vice Commander, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
11. July 2001 - May 2005, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. May 2005 - present, Director, Installations and Mission Support (A7), Headquarters AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: Master navigator
Flight hours: 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-43, B-52, AC-130, C-130 A/B/E/H and KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Life member, Reserve Officers Association
Life member, Air Force Association
Life member, Airlift Tanker Association
Life member, Air War College Alumni Association
(Current as of November 2006)