Retiring effective Sept. 1, 2011.
Brigadier General William W. Uhle Jr. is the Deputy Director for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H. M. Smith, Hawaii.
General Uhle was commissioned in 1981 as an AFROTC Distinguished Graduate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. During his career, he has served in a variety of flying and staff assignments in Japan, Turkey, Southwest Asia, Korea, Germany and the United States. He has commanded the 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron at Eglin AFB, Fla., a composite F-16C , F-15C and F-15E operational test unit, the 39th Expeditionary Operations Group at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, responsible for flight operations supporting Operations Northern Watch and Enduring Freedom, and the 8th Fighter Wing Kunsan AB, South Korea. He has also served as a NATO offensive air operations staff officer, as the Weapons Requirements Division Chief at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, as the Director of Combat Operations for Joint Task Force Southwest Asia, as the Chief of the Air Force Liaison Office to the House of Representatives, as the 3rd Air Force Vice Commander, and as the Director for the Allies and Partners Strategic Focus Group at Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command. He is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours.
1981 Bachelor of Science degree in aeronautical engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1989 F-16 Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1993 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Master of Public Administration degree, Auburn University, Montgomery, Ala.
1994 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1999 Marine Corps War College, Quantico, Va.
1. February 1982 - May 1983, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. June 1983 - December 1983, student, F-16 training, 72nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. January 1984 - September 1986, F-16A/C pilot, 19th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
4. October 1986 - March 1990, F-16C instructor pilot and weapons officer, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
5. April 1990 - June 1992, F-16C instructor pilot and flight commander, 61st Fighter Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. July 1992 - July 1993, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. August 1993 - June 1995, NATO staff officer, Headquarters 6th Allied Tactical Air Force, Izmir Air Base, Turkey
8. July 1995 - June 1996, operations officer, 86th Fighter Weapons Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. June 1996 - June 1998, Commander, 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. July 1998 - June 1999, student, Marine Corps War College, Quantico, Va.
11. July 1999 - May 2001, Chief, Weapons Requirements Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2001 - July 2003, Commander, 39th Expeditionary Operations Group, Incirlik AB, Turkey
13. July 2003 - April 2004, Vice Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
14. May 2004 - May 2005, Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, South Korea
15. June 2005 - September 2006, Chief, Air Force House Liaison Office, House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
16. September 2006 - December 2006, Vice Commander, 16th Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
17. December 2006 - January 2009, Vice Commander, 3rd Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
18. January 2009 - August 2009, Deputy Director for Strategic Planning and Policy (J5), Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
19. August 2009 - present, Deputy Director for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 1993 - June 1995, Chief, Offensive Air Operations, 6th Allied Tactical Air Force, Izmir, Turkey, as a major
2. June 2002 - September 2002, Director, Combat Operations, Joint Task Force Southwest Asia, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia, as a colonel
3. January 2009 - August 2009, Deputy Director for Strategic Planning and Policy, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a brigadier general
4. August 2009 - present, Deputy Director for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,800, with 147 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16A, F-16C, F-16CG and F-16CJ
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
NATO Medal (Former Republic of Yugoslavia)
Republic of Korea Order of National Security Merit (Samil Medal)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 10, 1981
First Lieutenant Oct. 10, 1983
Captain Oct. 10, 1985
Major May 1, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Colonel March 1, 2000
Brigadier General April 16, 2007
(Current as of June 2011)