Conrad M. Von Wald, a member of Senior Executive Service, is Director, Administrative Law, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He directs the functions and activities of the Administrative Law Directorate, and advises the Secretariat, Air Staff, the Judge Advocate General, major commands, Direct Reporting Units and field operating agencies on legal and policy matters affecting the Air Force and its people.
Mr. Von Wald, a 1977 Air Force ROTC distinguished graduate, entered active duty in the Air Force in 1980 in the Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corps. After 27 years as an active duty judge advocate in wing, numbered Air Force, major air command, Air Staff, joint and combined command positions, he retired as a colonel in 2007. Additionally, he is an associate professor of law, having taught at the Air Force Academy, and he prosecuted over 100 courts martial serving as a regional prosecutor. In 2002, he won the Air Force Association and Air Force Judge Advocate General's Stuart R. Reichart Award as the Outstanding Senior Air Force Attorney. He was appointed to the SES in May 2007. In 2012, he was recognized with a Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award.
1977 Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics, magna cum laude, St. Thomas College, St. Paul, Minn.
1979 Juris Doctorate degree, cum laude, Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minn.
1982 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Air Command and Staff College
1990 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1995 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1980 - October 1981, judge advocate, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. October 1981 - October 1982, judge advocate, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. October 1982 - December 1982, student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. December 1982 - June 1985, circuit trial counsel, Lowry AFB, Colo.
5. June 1985 - July 1989, associate professor of law, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
6. July 1989 - January 1990, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
7. January 1990 - July 1992, Staff Judge Advocate, Royal Air Force Alconbury, England 8. July 1992 - July 1994, Chief, Military Personnel Branch, Headquarters Air Force Legal Services Agency, Arlington, Va.
9. August 1994 - June 1995, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 1995 - June 1996, Deputy Director, Legal Affairs, NATO's Supreme Allied Command-Atlantic, Norfolk, Va.
11. June 1996 - July 1997, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Atlantic Command, Norfolk, Va.
12. July 1997 - June 1998, Staff Judge Advocate, Operation Southern Watch, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
13. July 1998 - April 2000, Staff Judge Advocate, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
14. April 2000 - July 2001, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
15. July 2001 - September 2003, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 15th Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
16. October 2003 - February 2004, Chief Legal Adviser, Secretary of the Air Force Inspector General, Washington, D.C.
17. February 2004 - May 2007, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
18. May 2007 - present, Chief, Administrative Law Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. July 2009 - present; Director, Administrative Law, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Citation with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
2012 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
Meritorious Civilian Service Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Member of Minnesota and Colorado Supreme Courts' Bar, the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, the United States Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, the Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Court of Federal Claims
Air Force Association
Senior Executives Association
(Current as of March 2013)