Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Lanni is the Commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He leads the agency charged with promoting security assistance and national security objectives by building relationships with U.S. international partners. As commander, General Lanni is AFMC's focal point for administering the Air Force's $99.2 billion security assistance budget supporting foreign military sales to 103 countries, operating more than 6,700 aircraft and other weapons systems. He develops and executes international agreements and manages the command's international affairs and all foreign disclosure policies.
General Lanni was commissioned in 1980 following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has served as an operational fighter pilot, aggressor pilot and experimental test pilot. His commands include the nation's only classified Flight Test Squadron and the 412th Test Wing. General Lanni directed the F/A-22 Combined Test Force at the Air Force Flight Test Center, and he served as a staff officer at Headquarters U.S. Air Force and the Joint Staff. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director of Air, Space and Information Operations for Air Force Materiel Command.
The general is a command pilot with more than 4,700 flying hours in more than 100 different types of aircraft, including the F-22 and numerous classified prototypes.
1980 Bachelor of Science degrees in engineering mechanics and mathematics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1985 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1991 Master of Science degree in aerospace engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
1993 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1996 Air War College, by correspondence
1998 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2001 Advanced Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1. June 1980 - September 1980, structural engineer, Air Force Armament and Test Laboratory, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. October 1980 - September 1981, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. October 1981 - February 1982, student, lead-in fighter training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. March 1982 - September 1982, student, F-4D Replacement Training Unit, 308th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
5. October 1982 - May 1986, F-4E aircraft commander, wing instructor pilot and flight safety officer, 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. June 1986 - June 1988, instructor pilot and wing standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 64th and 65th Aggressor Squadrons, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 1988 - June 1989, student, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. July 1989 - June 1992, experimental test pilot, instructor pilot and command standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 3247th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. August 1992 - January 1994, assistant operations officer, 6513th Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. February 1994 - June 1995, operations officer, 413th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. July 1995 - June 1997, Commander, Flight Test Squadron
12. July 1997 - June 1998, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair,
13. June 1998 - June 2000, joint warfighting analyst, Force Structure, Resources and Assessment Directorate (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2000 - June 2001, Chief, Global Analysis Division, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency; Director for Command and Control, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2001 - December 2002, Vice Commander, Detachment 3, Air Force Flight Test Center, Las Vegas, Nev.
16. December 2002 - May 2004, Director, F/A-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, Calif.
17. May 2004 - February 2006, Commander, 412th Test Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
18. February 2006 - September 2007, Vice Commander, Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
19. September 2007 - March 2009, Director of Air, Space and Information Operations (A3), Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
20. March 2009 - present, Commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 1998 - June 2000, joint warfighting analyst, Force Structure, Resources and Assessment Directorate (J8), the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
Ratings: Command pilot, parachutist
Flight hours: More than 4,700
Aircraft flown: F-22, F-4, F-5, F-15, F-16, F-14, F-18, HH-60G, RQ-4A, CV-22, C-17, C-130, B-1, B-2 and B-52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1980
First Lieutenant May 28, 1982
Captain May 28, 1984
Major May 1, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 1996
Colonel March 1, 2001
Brigadier General July 3, 2007
(Current as of June 2011)