Egon F. Hawrylak, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Commander for Joint Force Headquarters-National Capital Region, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. He assists the commanding general in conducting the full spectrum of military operations in the National Capital Region; coordinates with key interagency partners to ensure proper alignment of strategic initiatives; and oversees support functions such as fiscal, manpower, personnel, logistics, operations, intelligence and readiness.
A native of Toledo, Ohio, Mr. Hawrylak was commissioned a second lieutenant of infantry in 1974 as a distinguished military graduate of the University of Toledo. He held a variety of leadership, staff and executive-level positions in the United States and overseas, retiring from active duty in the rank of colonel in June 2004. Prior to assuming his present position, Mr. Hawrylak served as the civilian Deputy Director for Operations, U.S. Army Military District of Washington and the Joint Force Headquarters-National Capital Region, serving as the principal adviser to the Director of Operations. Mr. Hawrylak was directly involved in the military planning and interagency coordination of high-profile National Special Security Events including the State of the Union address, state funerals for former presidents Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford, and four presidential inaugurations.
1974 Distinguished military graduate, Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, University of Toledo, Ohio
1981 Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Monterey, Calif.
1982 Master of Arts degree in national security affairs, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
1989 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1998 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1974 - June 1993, leadership positions in multiple infantry organizations in the United States and overseas
2. July 1993 - July 1995, Commander, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, Fort Drum, N.Y.
3. August 1995 - July 1996, Chief of Staff, Joint Task Force-Bravo, Soto Cano Air Base, Honduras
4. August 1996 - July 1997, Director of Plans, Force Integration and Analysis, U.S. Total Army Personnel Command, Alexandria, Va.
5. August 1997 - July 1998, student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1998 - June 2001, Branch and Division Chief, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development (J7), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 2001 - June 2004, Director for Operations, U.S. Army Military District of Washington, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
8. June 2004 - April 2007, Deputy Director for Operations, U.S. Army Military District of Washington and Joint Force Headquarters-National Capital Region, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. April 2007 - present, Deputy Commander for Joint Force Headquarters-National Capital Region, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
Expert and Combat Infantryman badges
Ranger Tab, Air Assault, Parachute and Pathfinder badges
(Current as of May 2017)