Brig. Gen. Thomas M. Gisler Jr. is Commander, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Air Force Reserve Command, Travis Air Force Base, Calif. He is responsible for the largest Air Force Reserve Associate wing in the nation and oversees the organizing, training, equipping and worldwide readiness of a combined Reserve and civilian force of nearly 3,500 people. The 349th AMW flies and supports the C-5 Galaxy, KC-10 Extender and the C-17 Globemaster III weapon systems.
General Gisler was commissioned through the ROTC program in 1972. He has commanded an air mobility operations group, an air refueling operations group, a regional support group and he was the vice commander and commander of an air refueling wing. He has held a variety of other operational and staff positions at several locations including a 120-day deployment as the Director of Mobility Forces in Southwest Asia in support of operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. The general is a command pilot with more than 4,500 flying hours in various aircraft.
1972 Bachelor of Science degree in geology, University of Idaho, Moscow
1980 Safety Officer School, Norton AFB, Calif.
1981 Aircraft Mishap Investigations School, Arizona State University, Tempe
1986 Airlift Operations School, Scott AFB, Ill.
1985 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. December 1972 - June 1974, student, undergraduate pilot training, Webb AFB, Texas
2. October 1974 - August 1980, C-141A aircraft commander and squadron safety officer, 86th Military Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. August 1980 - August 1982, flight safety officer, 60th Military Airlift Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. August 1982 - December 1984, C-141A pilot, 708th Military Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. December 1984 - June 1986, Chief of Safety, 349th Military Airlift Wing (Associate), Travis AFB, Calif.
6. June 1986 - August 1987, chief pilot, 708th Military Airlift Squadron, 349th Military Airlift Wing (Associate), Travis AFB, Calif.
7. August 1987 - June 1992, C-141B flight examiner and aircraft operations officer, 708th Military Airlift Squadron (Associate), Travis AFB, Calif.
8. June 1992 - September 1995, Deputy Commander, 349th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. September 1995 - April 1996, Commander, 349th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. April 1996 - November 1997, Commander, 940th Operations Group, McClellan AFB, Calif.
11. November 1997 - April 1998, Vice Commander, 940th Air Refueling Wing, McClellan AFB, Calif.
12. April 1998 - February 1999, Commander, 940th Air Refueling Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
13. February 1999 - August 2000, Assistant Vice Commander, 4th Air Force, and Commander, 604th Regional Support Group, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
14. August 2000 - July 2003, Commander, 446th Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
15. July 2003 - May 2006, Commander, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
16. May 2006 - September 2006, Director of Mobility Forces, Southwest Asia
17. September 2006 - present, Commander, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,500
Aircraft flown: KC-135E, C-141A/B/C, T-37, T-38, C-17 and C-5
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1972
First Lieutenant April 12, 1974
Captain July 1, 1978
Major May 21, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel June 13, 1991
Colonel Aug. 1, 1995
Brigadier General Feb. 26, 2003
(Current as of March 2007)