Maj. Gen. R. Benjamin "Boats" Bartlett is the Director of Exercises and Training, U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He is responsible for maintaining the joint and combined readiness of USCENTCOM through the design, coordination, and execution of exercises and training efforts. This exercise and training program advances Central Command theater and security cooperation goals while at the same time honing combat readiness.
General Bartlett entered the Air Force in 1976 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He completed pilot training at Columbus AFB, Miss., as a distinguished graduate and winner of the Air Training Command Commander's Trophy, and served on active duty for more than eight years flying the F-4 and F-16. General Bartlett entered the Air Force Reserve in 1984 and continued to fly the F-16 for a total of more than 22 years, including combat time over Iraq. He has served as a fighter squadron commander, operations group commander, and vice wing commander. As a civilian, he is a retired 747 airline pilot..
1976 Bachelor of Science degree in history, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1976 - October 1977, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. October 1977 - February 1978, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. March 1978 - September 1978, student, F-4 initial training, George AFB, Calif.
4. September 1978 - July 1980, F-4 pilot, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. July 1980 - November 1980, initial F-16 conversion training, Hill AFB, Utah
6. November 1980 - August 1982, F-16 pilot, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. August 1982 - August 1984, F-16 Replacement Training Unit instructor pilot, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. September 1984 - January 1994, F-16 flight instructor and evaluator pilot, 466th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
9. January 1994 - July 1997, assistant operations officer, 466th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. August 1997 - March 1998, Commander, Operations Support Flight, 419th Fighter Wing , Hill AFB, Utah
11. March 1998 - March 1999, Commander, 466th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
12. April 1999 - September 2002, Commander, Operations Group, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
13. September 2002 - December 2002, Vice Commander, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
14. December 2002 - January 2003, individual mobilization augmentee to the Commander, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Denver, Colo.
15. January 2003 - October 2003, mobilization assistant to the Superintendent, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
16. October 2003 - November 2003, mobilization assistant to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
17. December 2003 - April 2005, mobilization assistant to the Director, Current Operations and Training, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
18. April 2005 - June 2008, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 12th Air Force, Air Combat Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
19. June 2008 - July 2008, Associate Director of Operations, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
20. July 2008 - present, Director of Exercises and Training, USCENTCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: Approximately 4,000
Aircraft flown: F-4C/D and F-16A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal two bronze stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1976
First Lieutenant June 2, 1978
Captain June 2, 1980
Major June 2, 1990
Lieutenant Colonel June 2, 1997
Colonel March 30, 2001
Brigadier General Feb.1, 2005
Major General Sept. 15, 2008
(Current as of June 2009)