Dan A. Roth, a Senior Level executive, is Technical Adviser, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He provides leadership and final review of the technical aspects of the center's overall program as well as consultant advice and technical guidance to agencies within and outside the center. In collaboration with the center commander, Mr. Roth establishes test and evaluation technical policy and procedures, and provides technical expertise and direction to the AFFTC work force. He also formulates testing philosophy and testing approaches to assure scientific validity, effectiveness and efficiency in accomplishing ground and flight tests. Mr. Roth chairs the AFFTC Center Technology Council. He also represents the center on the Air Force Materiel Command Engineering Council, J-Tech Program Board of Range Directors, Executive Committee of the Range Commanders Council and Secretary of the Air Force-Acquisition Senior Leader Development Team.
Mr. Roth has held a wide variety of positions within the AFFTC, including performance and flying qualities discipline engineer, flight test conductor and engineering project manager. He has served as Director of Engineering, Deputy Combined Test Force Director and Director of Projects. Mr. Roth has authored and contributed to numerous AFFTC technical reports. He has also been the AFFTC test safety officer, 412th Test Wing Reengineering Team Lead, and Director of the AFFTC's Commander's Action Group.
1978 Bachelor of Science degree in aeronautical engineering, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
1983 Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering, California State University, Fresno
1993 Air War College, by seminar
1. June 1977 - September 1977, performance and flying qualities engineer, B-1A Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2. June 1978 - May 1982, flight dynamics engineer, Air Launched Cruise Missile Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif. (May 1981 - December 1981, flying qualities engineer, B-52G Strakelets Program)
3. May 1982 - April 1984, lead engineer, HU-25A Safety of Flight Certification Test Program, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
4. April 1984 - May 1984, lead flight dynamics engineer, F-16XL Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
5. May 1984 - September 1986, test system safety engineer, Directorate of Safety, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif. (October 1984 - November 1984, Project Manager, SKYEYE Remotely Piloted Vehicle Night Flight Demonstration)
6. September 1986 - June 1987, long-term training, 6520th Test Group, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. June 1987 - April 1991, lead engineer, Advanced Tactical Fighter Combined Test Force, Northrop YF-23A, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif. (June 1987 - October 1988, flight dynamics engineer, B-1B Combined Test Force)
8. April 1991 - November 1992, lead flight controls, flying qualities and structures engineer, F-22 Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
9. November 1992 - July 1996, Director of Engineering, F-16 Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. July 1996 - January 1998, Director of Development Test and Evaluation, and Director of Engineering, F-15 Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. January 1998 - January 2000, Director, Commander's Action Group, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. January 2000 - June 2000, Lead, 412th Test Wing Test and Evaluation Reengineering Team, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
13. June 2000 - April 2003, Director of Projects, and Deputy Director, F/A-22 Combined Test Force, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
14. April 2003 - October 2007, Technical Director, 412th Test Wing, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
15. October 2007 - present, Technical Adviser, AFFTC, Edwards AFB, Calif.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2002 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2008 NATO Research and Technology Board's Scientific Achievement Team Award as Chairman of the Flight Test Technology Task Group
Co-author, "AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile DT&E Competitive Test Program, Volume 1," AFFTC Technical Report, May 1980
Co-author, "AGM-86B Air Launched Cruise Missile DT&E/FOT&E, Annex II, Flight Dynamics," AFFTC Technical Report, May 1982
Co-author, "Performance and Flying Qualities Evaluation of the B-52G Carrier Aircraft with Strakelet and ALQ-172 Radomes," AFFTC Technical Report, December 1981
Co-author, "HU-25A AIREYE Safety of Flight Test Program, Performance and Flying Qualities Evaluation," AFFTC Technical Report, April 1984
Co-author, "B-1B Flying Qualities Evaluation (Stall Inhibitor System - 1)," AFFTC Technical Report, October 1988
Co-author, "YF-22A Engineering and Manufacturing Development Flight Test Summary," AFFTC Technical Report, October 1992
1994 Test and Evaluation, Level III
1994 Program Management, Level II
1995 Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering, Level I
(Current as of December 2008)