Brig. Gen. Elaine L. Knight is the mobilization assistant to the Chief of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. She assists in leading four directorates and four field operating agencies consisting of 1,600 personnel, and in managing a C4ISR portfolio valued at $17 billion. General Knight helps to integrate Air Force warfighting and mission support capabilities to shorten the kill chain and decision cycle by networking space, air and terrestrial assets. Additionally, she helps shape doctrine, strategy, and policy for all communications and information activities while driving standards governance, innovation, and architectures for information systems and personnel.
General Knight enlisted in the Air Force in 1973, served as a communications center specialist and as an Air Force recruiter. Following her commissioning in 1978, she held positions in munitions maintenance and in acquisition logistics before leaving active duty and joining the individual mobilization augmentee program in 1985.
General Knight has served in staff positions at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Headquarters Air Force Space Command and the Space Warfare Center.
1976 Bachelor's degree in psychology, University of Nebraska, Omaha
1981 Master of Science degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1983 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Air Command and Staff College, top third, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Air War College, by seminar
1998 Space and Missile Training Staff Course, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
1999 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1974 - April 1974, student, Communications Specialist Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. April 1974 - May 1977, base and secure voice operator, 1st Aerospace Communications Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
3. May 1977 - March 1978, Air Force Recruiter, Athens, Ohio
4. April 1978 - June 1978, student, Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. July 1978 - November 1978, student, Munitions School, Lowry AFB, Colo.
6. November 1978 - May 1980, munitions maintenance officer, 93rd Munitions Maintenance Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
7. May 1980 - June 1981, graduate student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 1981 - April 1984, acquisition logistics officer, NAVSTAR Global Positioning System Joint Program Office, Space Division, Los Angeles Air Force Station, Calif.
9. April 1984 - August 1985, logistics plans and programs staff officer, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Detachment OL-AJ, Los Angeles AFS, Calif.
10. September 1985 - July 1989, logistics plans and programs staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1989 - May 1990, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. May 1990 - May 1992, logistics plans and programs staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. May 1992 - July 1998, Deputy Chief, Logistics Plans Division, Headquarters, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 1998 - August 2000, individual mobilization augmentee to the Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. August 2000 - January 2003, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Space Warfare Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
16. January 2003 - July 2006, mobilization assistant to the Director of Air and Space Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo. (October 2005 - February 2006, Director of Air and Space Operations; February 2006 - June 2006, Deputy Director of Air, Space, and Information Operations)
17. July 2006 - present, mobilization assistant to the Chief of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Master Space Badge
Senior Missile Operations Badge
Master Logistician Badge
Weapon system: Attack, Launch, and Early Reporting to Theater (ALERT)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 19, 1978
First Lieutenant June 29, 1980
Captain June 29, 1982
Major May 1, 1987
Lieutenant Colonel June 18, 1993
Colonel June 1, 1998
Brigadier General June 30, 2004
(Current as of April 2007)