Dennis M. Firman, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. In that capacity he guides the more than 700 people at the center in managing the Air Force's military and housing construction, environmental restoration programs as well as the Military Family Housing Privatization Initiative. The center's other responsibilities include pollution prevention, resources conservation, and planning and architectural design.
Mr. Firman began his Air Force career in 1974 as a design engineer at Langley Air Force Base, Va. His assignments include Headquarters Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency, Tyndall AFB, Fla., where he served as Director or Systems Engineering and Executive Director. Prior to his current assignment, he was Chief of the Design and Construction Division, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters Air Combat Command. There he was responsible for the design and construction of military construction and non-appropriated fund projects for ACC bases worldwide.
1969 Bachelor of Science degree in structural engineering, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Va.
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master of Public Administration degree, Auburn University, Ala.
1. February 1975 - April 1977, civil design engineer, 4500th Air Base Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
2. April 1977 - December 1978, supervisor, Civil/Architectural Design Branch, 18th Combat Support Group, Kadena Air Base, Japan
3. December 1978 - April 1980, Chief, Engineering Technical Design, 1st Combat Support Group, Langley AFB, Va.
4. April 1980 - May 1982, Chief, Environmental and Contract Planning, 18th Combat Support Group, Kadena AB, Japan
5. May 1982 - August 1983, facility requirements programmer, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
6. August 1983 - April 1985, Deputy Base Civil Engineer, 432nd Civil Engineering Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
7. April 1985 - August 1987, Manager, Air Force Roof Program, Headquarters Air Force Engineering and Services Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. August 1987 - September 1991, Chief, Maintenance Division, Operations and Maintenance Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Engineering and Services Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. September 1991 - September 1994, Director of Systems Engineering, Headquarters Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. September 1994 - October 2000, Executive Director, Headquarters Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency, Tyndall AFB, Fla. (August 1997 - June 1998, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.)
11. October 2000 - November 2007, Chief, Design and Construction Division, Civil Engineer Directorate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
12. November 2007 - present, Director, Air Force Center for Engineering and the Environment, Lackland AFB, Texas
(Current as of July 2010)