Brig. Gen. Bruce M. Carskadon is the mobilization assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for assisting, representing or acting for the DCS in Total Force personnel planning and policy initiatives to ensure Air Force active, Reserve and civilian forces are provided the skilled personnel to meet Air Force operational requirements. He develops and initiates long-range objectives, mid- and near-term strategies, and initiatives. He advises the DCS in a full range of technical guidance and oversight. General Carskadon also fills a special assignment as Reserve Adviser to Chief of Staff's Human Capital Task Force.
The general received his commission in 1967 as a distinguished graduate of Officer Training School. After separating from active duty in July 1972, he joined the Air Force Reserve. He served an aviation tour with the U.S. Coast Guard from 1975 to 1978, returning to the Air Force Reserve as an Air Reserve Technician in 1979.
He is a command pilot with more than 7,600 flying hours in the C-141, KC-10, HH-53, H-3 and UH-1 and has commanded an airlift squadron and air mobility wing .
1967 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, Drexel University
1973 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1975 Master's degree in business administration, Florida Institute of Technology 1982 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1968 - February 1969, student, undergraduate pilot training, Vance AFB, Texas
2. March 1969 - May 1969, student, C-141 transition training, Altus AFB, Okla.
3. June 1969 - June 1970, pilot, 41st Military Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
4. July 1970 - September 1970, student, helicopter transition training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
5. October 1970 - December 1970, student, HH-53C training, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. January 1971 - January 1972, HH-53 flight examiner, 37th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam
7. February 1972 - July 1972, UH-1 pilot, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot AFB, N.D.
8. August 1972 - August 1973, C-141 instructor pilot, 335th Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. September 1973 - November 1974, C-141 flight examiner, 732nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
10. December 1974 - July 1975, C-141 flight examiner, 702nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
11. August 1975 - July 1978, HH-3 flight examiner pilot, U.S. Coast Guard Air Station, St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Fla.
12. August 1978 - August 1984, Chief, Aircrew Standardization, 732nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
13. September 1984 - April 1988, Chief, Aircrew Standardization, 514th Military Airlift Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
14. May 1988 - August 1991, flight examiner, 732nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
15. September 1991 - January 1994, Commander, 732nd Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
16. February 1994 - November 1994, special assistant to the Commander, 514th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
17. December 1994 - May 1996, Vice Commander, 514th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
18. June 1996 - May 1998, Commander, 514th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
19. June 1998 - January 2002, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
20. January 2002 - present, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 7,600
Aircraft flown: KC-10, C-141, HH-53, H-3, UH-1, T-38, T-37 and T-41
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Distinguished Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Coast Guard Unit Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 22, 1967
First Lieutenant June 22, 1969
Captain Dec. 22, 1970
Major Dec. 22, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 22, 1988
Colonel June 1, 1993
Brigadier General May 18, 1998
(Current as of October 2002)