Maj. Gen. John M. Danahy is mobilization assistant to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He serves as the principal adviser to the commander for the 43,000 Air Force Reservists that are part of the Total Force air mobility community, operating combat delivery and strategic airlift, air refueling, aeromedical and special mission aircraft in support of national interests.
General Danahy earned his commission through Officer Training School in 1968. A command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours, he has commanded a squadron; served as vice commander of a wing; and vice commander of a numbered Air Force. Prior to assuming his current position, he was mobilization assistant to the Commander, 21st Air Force. In his civilian occupation, he is a commercial airline pilot.
1966 Bachelor of Science degree in education, University of Buffalo
1975 Squadron Officers School
1983 Air Command Staff College
1989 National Security Management Course
1. April 1968 - April 1969, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. May 1969 - July 1971, C-130 co-pilot and aircraft commander, 772nd Tactical Airlift Squadron, Clark Air Base, Philippines
3. August 1971 - April 1973, C-130 aircraft commander, 36th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. May 1973 - October 1978, C-5 aircraft commander and instructor pilot, 709th Military Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
5. November 1978 - October 1983, C-5 instructor pilot and flight examiner pilot, 326th Military Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
6. November 1983 - October 1987, C-5 Chief of Flight Standards, 326th Military Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
7. November 1987 - June 1991, Commander, 326th Military Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
8. July 1991 - May 1992, special assistant to the Commander, 512th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
9. June 1992 - May 1993, Air Force emergency preparedness liaison officer, Delaware Office of Adjutant General, Newark, Del.
10. June 1993 - August 1995, Vice Commander, 512th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
11. September 1995 - April 1998, Vice Commander, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
12. April 1998 - July 2000, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 21st Air Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
13. August 2000 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000 military; more than 14,000 civilian
Aircraft flown: B-727, B-747, B-757, B-767, B-777, C-130, C-5, C-17, DC-9 and KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with six bronze stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Armed Forces Service Medal with device
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 28, 1968
First Lieutenant Sept. 28, 1969
Captain March 28, 1971
Major April 2, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 30, 1986
Colonel June 1, 1991
Brigadier General March 20, 1998
Major General April 1, 2000
(Current as of June 2002)