Maj. Gen. Gerald P. "Jerry" Fitzgerald is the mobilization assistant to the Commander, 15th Air Force, Travis Air Force Base, Calif. The command is responsible for approximately 50 percent of the Air Force's air mobility assets and mission. The 15th Air Force provides rapid and flexible Global Reach for America from six major Air Force bases in the United States and several other locations throughout the Pacific - active duty, Reserve and Air National Guard. More than 70,000 people operate and support airlift, tanker and aeromedical aircraft as part of 15th Air Force.
General Fitzgerald graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, and entered the Air Force in 1968, earning his commission as a distinguished graduate of Officer Training School. He has served in a variety of operations and staff positions throughout his career, including those of squadron, deputy group, group and wing commander. He has been mobilization assistant to the Director of Plans and Programs and to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command.
The general is a command pilot with more than 8,000 hours in airlift, airdrop, tanker, receiver and medical airlift missions, and is a veteran of Vietnam and Southwest Asia conflicts. In his civilian occupation, he is an international B-777 captain for a major U.S. airline with extensive international, check airman and Federal Aviation Administration designee experience.
1968 Bachelor of Arts degree, University of California Los Angeles, Westwood
1993 Air War College, by correspondence
1. March 1969 - March 1970, student, undergraduate pilot training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. April 1970 -June 1970, student, C-141A combat crew training, Altus AFB, Okla.
3. June 1970 March 1973, C-141A pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot and flight examiner, 18th Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
4. March 1973 - October 1982, C-141A/B flight examiner, assistant standardization officer, later, standardization officer, 732nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
5. October 1982 - February 1990, KC-10A aircraft commander, instructor pilot, flight examiner and flight commander, 78th Air Refueling Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. February 1990 - September 1992, Commander, 78th Air Refueling Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. September 1992 - October 1994, Deputy Commander, later, Commander, 98th Air Refueling Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. October 1994 - November 1994, special assistant to the Commander, 514th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. December 1994 - February 1995, special assistant to the Commander, 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. February 1995 - April 1996, Commander, 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. April 1996 - February 1998, mobilization assistant to the Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. February 1998 - April 1999, mobilization assistant to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. April 1999 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 15th Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 8,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-141, KC-10 and C-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Vietnam Service Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Humanitarian Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 7, 1969
First Lieutenant Aug. 7, 1970
Captain Feb. 7, 1972
Major Feb. 7, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 7, 1990
Colonel May 1, 1994
Brigadier General July 1, 1997
Major General Sept. 1, 1999
(Current as of July 2001)