Brig. Gen. William F. "Bill" Gordon is Vice Chief of Staff, Director, Joint Reserve Directorate, and mobility adviser to the Commander, Headquarters U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
General Gordon entered the acquisition career field In 1976, graduating first in his class from the Air Force Procurement School, and he was awarded an unlimited warrant as a contracting officer for the Air Force. In 1978, he transferred to the Air Force Reserve after more than seven years of active-duty service. He has held positions of increasing complexity and responsibility in the acquisition career field with the U.S. Air Force, the Defense Logistics Agency and the Defense Contract Management Agency.
General Gordon's aviation career includes service with NATO in West Germany flying United States and host nation distinguished visitors from Ramstein Air Base throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia. He advanced to instructor pilot, holding full responsibility for Ramstein's Instrument School for all pilots assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe. The general holds a commercial pilot license and he is current in civilian high performance multi-engine aircraft. In his civilian occupation, he is Director, Government Contracts and Compliance, Texas Instruments, Inc.
1971 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, Connecticut State University
1975 Squadron Officer School
1976 U.S. Air Force Contracting Officer and Procurement School
1977 Master of Business Administration degree in finance, University of Utah
1987 Juris Doctor degree, Southern Methodist University
1991 Air War College
1. October 1971 - September 1972, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. October 1972 - January 1973, T-39 training, Peterson Field, Colo.
3. January 1973 - April 1976, T-39 instructor pilot, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
4. May 1976 - August 1978, contracting officer, 3303rd Procurement Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. September 1978 - May 1980, procurement officer, Defense Contract Administration Services Management Area, Oklahoma City, Okla.
6. June 1980 - July 1985, procurement management staff officer, Defense Contract Administration Region, Boston, Mass.
7. August 1985 - May 1990, quality assurance officer, Defense Contract Administration Region, Dallas, Texas
8. June 1990 - May 1992, Chief, Program Support, Defense Contracting Management Division, South Atlanta, Ga.
9. June 1992 - May 1993, mobilization assistant to the Director of Contracts, Defense Industrial Supply Center, Philadelphia, Pa.
10. June 1993 - January 1995, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Defense Industrial Supply Center, Philadelphia, Pa.
11. February 1995 - May 2000, mobilization assistant to the Director, Defense Contract Management Agency, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
12. May 2000 - July 2002, Vice Director, Requirements and Integration (J8), U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
13. July 2002 - present, Vice Chief of Staff, Director, Joint Reserve Directorate, and mobility adviser to the Commander, Headquarters U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
Flight hours: 1,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, T-39 and C-310
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
1976 Honor graduate, Air Force Procurement School
1977 Beta Gamma Sigma, MBA, University of Utah
1987 Who's Who Among American Law Students
1990 Individual Mobilization Augmentee of the Year, Defense Contract Management District South
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Federal Bar Association
American Bar Association
State Bar of Texas
Section of Public Contract Law, ABA
Section of Tax Law, ABA
Life member, Reserve Officer Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 7, 1971
First Lieutenant April 7, 1973
Captain Oct. 7, 1975
Major May 11, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 9, 1987
Colonel May 1, 1992
Brigadier General March 20, 1998
(Current as of August 2002)