Maj. Gen. Dennis M. Gray is mobilization assistant to the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He serves as the senior Reserve judge advocate responsible for the organization, management and training of the 950 Reserve judge advocate and paralegal personnel serving at 130 locations in the United States and overseas.
General Gray was a distinguished graduate of the University of Iowa Reserve Officer Training Corps program and was commissioned in June 1965. He attended the University of Iowa Law School in an extended leave status and entered active duty in September 1968. Upon his release from active duty in 1972 he entered the Reserve, serving at Headquarters Strategic Air Command for 17 years. He was instrumental in the development of the Air Force policy directive and instructions governing the assignment and training of all Air Reserve Component judge advocates and paralegals. He serves as a member of the Judge Advocate General's Executive Council and chairs both the Judge Advocate General's Department Reserve Executive Council and the Interservice Reserve Component Judge Advocate Senior Leader's Conference.
In his civilian occupation, he is senior trial attorney with a private law firm in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
1965 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, University of Iowa
1968 Juris Doctor degree, University of Iowa
1977 Squadron Officer School
1987 Air War College
1. September 1968 - March 1970, assistant staff judge advocate, Headquarters 2nd Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
2. March 1970 - March 1972, assistant staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
3. March 1972 - April 1989, judge advocate individual mobilization augmentee,
Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. April 1989 - May 1991, senior Reserve adviser to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 12th Air Force, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
5. May 1991 - May 1992, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. May 1992 - June 1992, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
7. June 1992 - March 1993, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
8. March 1993 - February 1995, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. February 1995 - present, mobilization assistant to the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 4, 1965
First Lieutenant June 4, 1968
Captain Sept. 15, 1968
Major April 30,1975
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 14, 1981
Colonel April 1, 1987
Brigadier General Feb. 9, 1994
Major General July 1, 1997
(Current as of September 1997)