Brig. Gen. Leon A. Johnson is the mobilization assistant to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.
General Johnson entered the Air Force in 1971 as a distinguished graduate of the Oregon State University Reserve Officer Training Corps program, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in political science. The general joined the Air Force Reserve as a traditional Reservist in 1980. He entered the Air Reserve Technician program as a full-time civil service employee in April 1982, and returned to the traditional Reservist program in 1986. He has commanded a Reserve fighter squadron and a fighter group. He is a command pilot with more than 3,400 flying hours in the A-10, A-37, and T-37.
In his civilian occupation, he is the flight operations employee relations manager at the United Parcel Service.
1971 Bachelor of Science degree in political science, Oregon State University
1996 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1971 - September 1972, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. October 1972 - June 1976, T-37 instructor pilot, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. June 1976 - January 1979, inspector, Air Training Command Inspector General team, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. January 1980 - March 1982, A-37 pilot, 45th tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
5. March 1982 - April 1984, Chief of Scheduling, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron Grissom AFB, Ind.
6. April 1984 - May 1986, A-10 instructor pilot and Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, 442nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Richards-Gebaur AFB, Mo.
7. May 1986 - November 1991, Chief, Training, 442nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Richards-Gebaur AFB, Mo.
8. November 1991 - May 1992, Chief, Weapon and Tactics, 930th Tactical Fighter Group, Grissom AFB, Ind.
9. May 1992 - May 1994, Commander, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
10. May 1994 - September 1994, Commander, 930th Tactical Fighter Group, Grissom AFB, Ind.
11. September 1994 - May 1995, special assistance to the Commander, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind.
12. May 1995 - December 1997, mobilization assistant to the Deputy to the Chief of the Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. December 1997 - January 2000, Vice Commander, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth , Texas
14. January 2000 - April 2000, mobilization assistant to Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
15. April 2000 - January 2003, mobilization assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. January 2003 - present, mobilization assistant to the Director, Operations, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,400 military and 3,500 civilian
Aircraft flown: A-10, A-37, A-300, T-37 and B-727
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Reserve Medal with oak leaf cluster
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
International Black Aerospace Council, Inc.
League of United Latin American Citizens
National Urban League
Organization of Black Airline Pilots, Inc.
Reserve Officers Association
Tuskegee Airmen, Inc.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 1971
First Lieutenant June 9, 1973
Captain Oct. 9, 1975
Major April 26, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel June 14, 1990
Colonel June 1, 1994
Brigadier General Sept. 13, 1999
(Current as of January 2003)