Maj. Gen. Joseph A. McNeil is mobilization assistant to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
General McNeil was born in Wilmington, N.C. In 1963 he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering physics from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He served on active duty as a KC-135 navigator at Ellsworth AFB, S.D., until 1969. He spent considerable time in Southeast Asia flying Arc Lite support and Young Tiger missions.
As a traditional Reservist, General McNeil developed a civilian management background in corporate finance, investment banking and public services. He has served as assistant division manager of the Federal Aviation Administration's Eastern Region Flight Standards Division and is presently the manager of the New York Flight Standards District Office.
1963 Bachelor of Science degree in engineering physics, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, Greensboro
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1988 National Defense University, by correspondence
1991 Honorary Doctor of Philosophy degree in humanities, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, Greensboro
1998 Honorary Doctor of Laws degree, St. John's University, Jamaica, N.Y.
1. July 1963 - August 1964, student, undergraduate navigator training, James Connally AFB, Texas
2. August 1964 - July 1969, KC-135 navigator, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
3. January 1972 - April 1989, navigator instructor, flight commander, executive officer and Commander, 702nd Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
(January 1974 - June 1989, additional duty as U.S. Air Force Academy liaison officer, Long Island, N.Y.)
4. April 1989 - December 1992, special assistant to the Vice Commander and Commander, 514th Airlift Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
5. December 1992 - January 1995, Vice Commander, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
6. January 1995 - August 1995, Commander, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
7. August 1995 - December 2000, mobilization assistant to the Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. December 2000 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: Master navigator
Flight hours: 6,653
Aircraft flown: C-141B, C-141A and KC-135A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with silver star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1963
First Lieutenant Jan. 14, 1965
Captain Dec. 24, 1968
Major June 1, 1977
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1984
Colonel April 1, 1989
Brigadier General June 2, 1994
Major General Feb. 29, 1996
(Current as of December 2000)