Maj. Gen. Betty L. Mullis is the Director, Reserve Readiness, Joint Reserve Forces, and mobilization assistant to the Deputy Director of the Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
General Mullis graduated from Officer Training School in 1972. She has served as a KC-135 pilot and commanded an air refueling squadron and wing. She has been mobilization assistant to the Commandant, Air War College, and Commander, Air Education and Training Command. The general was the Air Force Reserve Military Representative to the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services from 1995 to 1997, and she currently serves on the Reserve Forces Policy Board as well as the Air Reserve Forces Policy Committee. Her civilian occupation is an airline pilot.
The general is a command pilot with more than 4,900 flying hours in military aircraft. She participated in worldwide air refueling and airlift operations including Desert Storm, Provide Hope and Joint Endeavor.
1970 Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences, University of Northern Colorado
1981 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1981 Air Command and Staff College
1982 Master's degree in operations management, University of Arkansas
1994 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 1972 - September 1972, student, Administrative Management and Executive Officer School, Keesler AFB, Ms.
2. September 1972 - September 1977, administrative/public affairs officer, 314th Tactical Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. September 1977 - February 1979, public affairs officer, 189th Air Refueling Group, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. January 1979 - April 1980, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
5. April 1980 - August 1980, student, KC-135E Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
6. August 1980 - July 1986, co-pilot/pilot, 154th Air Refueling Squadron, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. July 1986 - October 1988, flight supervisor and C-130E instructor, 154th Tactical Airlift Training Squadron, Arkansas Air National Guard, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
8. October 1988 - October 1989, KC-135 pilot, 336th Air Refueling Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
9. October 1989 - November 1993, chief pilot, 336th Air Refueling Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
10. November 1993 - February 1995, Commander, 336th Air Refueling Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
11. February 1995 - July 1995, special assistant to the Commander, 452nd Air Mobility Wing, March AFB, Calif.
12. August 1995 - May 1996, Vice Commander, 452nd Air Mobility Wing, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
13. May 1996 - April 1998, Commander, 940th Air Refueling Wing, McClellan AFB, Calif.
14. April 1998 - June 2000, mobilization assistant to the Commandant, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. June 2000 - January 2003, mobilization assistant to the Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
16. January 2003 - November 2004, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas.
17. December 2004 - present, Director, Reserve Readiness, Joint Reserve Forces (J9), and mobilization assistant to the Deputy Director of the Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,900
Aircraft flown: KC-135A, KC-135E, C-130E, C141B, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Award with silver oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Women in Aviation, International
Women Military Aviators
Lifetime member, Reserve Officers Association
Lifetime member, Order of Daedalians
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 13, 1972
First Lieutenant July 13, 1974
Captain July 13, 1976
Major July 16, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel July 16, 1991
Colonel Aug. 1, 1995
Brigadier General June 1, 2000
Major General Sept. 1, 2002
(Current as of December 2004)