Maj. Gen. Richard D. Roth is the mobilization assistant to the Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for the professional oversight of more than 900 Reserve judge advocates and paralegals in the Judge Advocate General's Corps assigned to more than 200 offices at every level of command. He is responsible for the development of corps-wide policies affecting all Air Reserve component members, and he manages the recruitment, training, utilization and deployment of Reserve legal forces worldwide. He assists the Judge Advocate General in the professional supervision and management of 4,400 active, Guard and Reserve judge advocate personnel assigned to the Judge Advocate General's Corps. In addition to overseeing a vast array of military justice, international and operational law, and civil law functions, including litigation affecting Air Force interests, he provides legal advice to the Chief of Air Force Reserve and Commander, Air Force Reserve Command.
General Roth was commissioned in June 1972. He attended Emory University School of Law, graduating with a Juris Doctor degree in 1974. General Roth entered active duty in February 1975 and served with Strategic Air Command and Pacific Air Forces units in Arizona, Okinawa and California. Upon his release from active duty in April 1979, the general transferred to the Air Force Reserve and was assigned as an individual mobilization augmentee with Strategic Air Command bomb and refueling wings from 1979 to 1985. He subsequently served three times as a staff judge advocate at the wing and group levels in Air Force Reserve Command; an individual mobilization augmentee at the numbered air force and Air Staff levels; and a mobilization assistant at a major command and the Pentagon before assuming his present position.
In his civilian occupation, he is a partner in a California law firm.
1972 Bachelor of Arts degree, Miami University, Ohio
1974 Juris Doctor degree, Emory University
1982 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1982 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1988 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1992 Air War College, by seminar
1. February 1975 - October 1976, assistant judge advocate, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. October 1976 - June 1978, assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
3. June 1978 - April 1979, assistant Staff Judge Advocate, March AFB, Calif.
4. April 1979 - March 1985, individual mobilization augmentee, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, March AFB, Calif.
5. March 1985 - December 1988, Staff Judge Advocate, 943rd Tactical Airlift Group, March AFB, Calif.
6. December 1988 - August 1992, Staff Judge Advocate, 452nd Air Refueling Wing, March AFB, Calif.
7. August 1992 - May 1994, Staff Judge Advocate, 8600th Air Force Reserve Command Support Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. May 1994 - February 1996, individual mobilization augmentee to the Chief, Professional Development Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. February 1996 - April 1998, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 15th Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. April 1998 - July 2001, mobilization assistant to the Staff Judge Advocate, Air Mobility Command, and Reserve adviser to the Chief Counsel, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. July 2001 - January 2003, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. January 2003 - present, mobilization assistant to the Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
1976 Reginald C. Harmon Award as the Outstanding Reserve Judge Advocate
1992 Reserve Officer of the Year Award, California Air Force Association
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Chairman of the Board, Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce
Member of the Board of Directors, Riverside Community Hospital
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 11, 1972
First Lieutenant Feb. 2, 1975
Captain Feb. 10, 1977
Major Feb. 2, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel March 8, 1990
Colonel May 1, 1994
Brigadier General April 3, 2000
Major General Feb. 6, 2004
(Current as of January 2007)