Brig. Gen. Dennis W. Schulstad is mobilization assistant to the Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va. He evaluates policies and procedures pertaining to the integration and utilization of Air Reserve forces into the ACC active-duty structure. The directorate develops concepts, policies and doctrine for employment of combat air forces.
General Schulstad entered the Air Force in 1966 as a graduate of the University of Minnesota's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has served as a public affairs officer at a numbered air force as well as headquarters Tactical Air Command and Air Combat Command. As an additional duty, he has been an admissions liaison officer for the U.S. Air Force Academy and AFROTC for more than 20 years and still serves as senior adviser and congressional relations officer. He has commanded a student squadron and the Admissions Liaison Officer Program in the Minnesota region. In his civilian capacity, he is an eight-term elected member of the Minneapolis City Council and is a political campaign consultant.
1966 Bachelor of Arts degree in public speech and public relations, University of Minnesota
1978 Squadron Officer School
1981 Air Command and Staff College
1984 Air War College
1989 Program for Senior Executives in Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. October 1966 - June 1967, administrative officer, 3408th Student Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. July 1967 - June 1968, Commander, 3408th Student Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. June 1968 - March 1970, recruiting officer, Minneapolis, Minn.
4. March 1970 - December 1970, personnel officer, 934th Tactical Air Group, Minneapolis, Minn.
5. December 1970 - December 1971, quality control officer, 934th Tactical Air Group, Minneapolis, Minn.
6. December 1971 - November 1978, U.S. Air Force Academy liaison officer, Colorado Springs, Colo.
7. November 1978 - January 1984, admissions liaison officer, U.S. Air Force Academy and Air Force ROTC, Lowry AFB, Colo.
8. January 1984 - November 1984, Deputy Commander, Admissions Liaison Office, Minnesota Region, Minneapolis
9. November 1984 - August 1991, individual mobilization augmentee to the Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters 15th Air Force, March AFB, Calif.
10. September 1991 - July 1992, individual mobilization augmentee to the Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
11. July 1992 - March 1994, individual mobilization augmentee to the Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
12. March 1994 - present, mobilization assistant to the Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass
Outstanding admissions liaison officer commander
Outstanding additional duty admissions liaison officer in the nation
Air Force Recruiting Special Achievement Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Commodore, Minneapolis Aquatennial Association
Promotions and arrangements task force, Super Bowl XXVI
National vice chairman, the President's Dinner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 27, 1966
First Lieutenant April 30, 1968
Captain Oct. 30, 1969
Major July 27, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel July 27, 1987
Colonel Aug. 1, 1991
Brigadier General April 3,1995
(Current as of May 1999)