Steven D. Wert, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Program Executive Officer Digital, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts. He leads more than 3,500 Airmen, government civilians and support contractors in the acquisition of software and weapons systems and in the standardization and dissemination of agile software development processes throughout the Air Force. PEO digital also executes a $19 billion FYDP portfolio of ACAT, non-ACAT, technology transition and Foreign Military Sales programs. He reports directly to the Service Acquisition Executive and is a milestone decision authority for delegated ACAT-II and all ACAT-III programs in the PEO Digital portfolio.
Wert served as an Air Force officer for nearly 25 years. He led performance engineering on the advanced medium-range air-to-air missile, and he served as program manager for missile integration efforts with the NATO Eurofighter, JAS-39 Gripen and Peace Onyx F-16 programs. Wert later directed the Airborne Warning and Control System Radar Development Team and led the ACAT-I U.S./NATO Radar System Improvement Program.
Wert was on the Air Force Program Executive Officer staff as Director for Surveillance and Control Programs, including the E-3, E-4 and Peace Shield. He subsequently served as Deputy Director for Congressional and Budget Integration, Information Dominance, in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition. He was previously assigned to the Electronic Systems Center as executive officer to the commander, and led the Air Force Distributed Common Ground System Program before joining Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command as Deputy Director for Engineering. Following active duty, Wert was employed by SRA International, Inc., supporting the Office of the Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for ISR. Prior to his current appointment, he was Program Executive Officer for Theater Command and Control, Electronic Systems Center at Hanscom, AFB.
1982 Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, University of Florida
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1989 Master of Science degree in operations research and industrial engineering, University of Texas
1996 Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Acquisition Management Course for General/Flag Officers, Fort Belvoir, Va. 2008 SES Air and Space Seminar, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Force Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2008 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
2009 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2010 Executive Program managers Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2010 AFSO21: Leading for Results, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2011 APEX: Senior Executive Joint Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2017 Vanguard Senior Executive Development Program, National Conference Center, Leesburg, Va.
2018 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Airlie Conference Center, Warrenton, Va.
1. September 1982 - March 1987, Weapons Effects Research Officer, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. April 1987 - February 1988, Chief, Atmospheric Phenomenology Branch, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
3. February 1988 - August 1988, Executive Officer, Nuclear Technology Office, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
4. September 1988 - December 1989, student, University of Texas at Austin
5. February 1990 - October 1991, Lead Engineer, Simulations, AMRAAM System Program Office, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. November 1991 - August 1992, Chief, Performance Branch, Engineering Directorate, AMRAAM SPO, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 1992 - December 1994, International Program Manager and Deputy, International Division, AMRAAM SPO, Eglin AFB, Fla.
8. January 1995 - September 1997, Chief, Development Integrated Product Team, AWACS SPO, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
9. October 1997 - October 1998, Chief, Program Management and Integration, AWACS SPO, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
10. November 1998 - February 2000, Director, Surveillance and Control Programs, Air Force Program Executive Office for Command and Control, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. March 2000 - April 2001, Deputy Director, Congressional and Budget Integration, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
12. May 2001 - May 2002, Executive Officer to the Commander, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
13. May 2002 - August 2004, Chief, Information Exploitation Systems, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
14. August 2004 - July 2007, Deputy Director, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2007 - February 2008, Principal, C3I Sector, SRA International, Inc., Arlington Va.
16. March 2008 - April 2010, Director of Engineering, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
17. April 2010 - September 2011, Program Executive Officer for Command and Control, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
18. September 2011 - July 2012, Program Executive Officer for Theater Command and Control, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
19. July 2012 - August 2018, Program Executive Officer for Battle Management, AFLCMC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
20. August 2018 - present, Program Executive Officer, Digital, AFLCMC, Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
1983 Outstanding Technical Contribution of the Year, Air Force Weapons Laboratory
1991 Finalist, Junior Engineer AFA Engineering Awards, ASC
1993 International Program Manager of the Year, Air Force Materiel Command
1994 Outstanding Institute of Industrial Engineers Annual Publication Award
1996 John J. Welch Acquisition Award, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition
2003 Lt. Gen. John W. O'Neill Program Manager of the Year Award, ESC
2013 AFCEA International Distinguished Award for Excellence in Engineering
2013 Small Business Programs, Senior Executive Service, Outstanding Leadership Award, Secretary of the Air Force
2017 Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Service
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program Systems Planning, Research, Development and Evaluation, Level III, APDP
(Current as of September 2018)