John W. Steenbock, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He serves as the senior civilian official in the force development, management, and sustainment of the command's nearly 80,000 military and civilian professionals. These individuals are located throughout the United States and overseas in research facilities, test sites, universities, and at product development, logistics and specialized centers. Mr. Steenbock works with AFMC senior leadership to shape a dynamic workforce to deliver war-winning expeditionary capabilities and provides oversight, direction, and control for all force support activities within AFMC.
Mr. Steenbock is from Leonardville, Kan. He graduated from Washburn University in 1989 and began working for the Air Force as a Palace Acquire intern at Fairchild AFB, Wash., in June 1991. He has held leadership positions at the wing, major command and Department of Defense levels. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Steenbock was Deputy Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command.
1989 Bachelor's degree in psychology, Washburn University, Topeka, Kan.
1991 Master's degree in industrial organization psychology, Kansas State University
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 Master's degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Senior Executive Fellows Program, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. June 1991 - October 1993, personnel management specialist, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
2. October 1993 - July 1994, personnel management specialist, Nellis AFB, Nev.
3. July 1994 - July 1996, personnel management specialist, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1996 - November 1997, Chief, Workforce Effectiveness, Dover AFB, Del.
5. November 1997 - May 1999, civilian personnel officer, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
6. May 1999 - November 2000, Chief, Regional Personnel Center, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Sembach AB, Germany
7. November 2000 - June 2002, civilian personnel officer; Osan AB, South Korea
8. June 2002 - June 2003, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2003 - January 2005, Assistant Director, Military Personnel Policy, Office of Under Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
10. January 2005 - July 2006, Personnel Resources Director, Headquarters USAFE, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. July 2006 - April 2008, Deputy Director, Civilian Force Integration Directorate, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. April 2008 - November 2009, Deputy Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. November 2009 - present, Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Exemplary Civilian Service Award
Notable Achievement Award
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
(Current as of December 2009)