Patrick A. "Pat" McVay is Director, Joint Exercises and Training Directorate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He leads a directorate of 80 joint officers, government civilian employees, and defense contractors responsible for the development, coordination and execution of the command's exercise and training programs.
Mr. McVay was commissioned in the Air Force in 1977 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. During his active-duty career, he served as an instructor pilot, aircraft commander and operations officer. As a command pilot, he has more than 3,300 flight hours in the T-37, T-38, C-12 and KC-135A/R/T/RT. He was Commander, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, and Deputy Commander, 22nd Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan. Under his leadership, the 384th ARS was selected as the Spaatz Trophy winner, recognizing the outstanding air refueling squadron in Air Mobility Command. He also commanded the 4409th Operations Group and 4409th Air Base Group, in Southwest Asia where he led the successful transition from a flying organization to an administrative support role. He retired in February 2001 after serving as Vice Commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England.
Mr. McVay worked in the civilian community and as a Department of Defense contractor until 2003 when he joined civil service as deputy director and senior technical adviser for the Joint Exercises and Training Directorate. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2009 when he assumed his current position.
1977 Bachelor's degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Office School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 Master's degree in aviation sciences, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1991 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master's degree, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2006 Senior Executive Fellows program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. 1978 - 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. 1979 - 1982, T-37 instructor pilot and classroom academic instructor, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. 1982 - 1982, student, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
4. 1982 - 1986, KC-135A/R aircraft commander and training flight instructor pilot, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. 1986 - 1990 , KC-135 Training Programs Manager; executive officer and program manager, Flying Hour Program, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. 1990 - 1991, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. 1991 - 1994, flight commander, operations officer and Commander, 384th Air Refueling Squadron; and Deputy Commander, 22nd Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. 1995 - 1996, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
9. 1996 - 1997, Commander, 4409th Operations Group and 4409th Air Base Group, Southwest Asia
10. 1997 - 1999, senior controller and Chief, Joint Training and Exercises Division, Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. 1997 - 2000, Vice Commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
12. 2001 - 2003, various civilian and Department of Defense contractor assignments
13. 2003 - 2009, Deputy Director and Senior Technical Adviser, Joint Exercises and Training Directorate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb. (2006 - 2007, executive assistant to the Commander, USSTRATCOM)
14. 2009 - present, Director, Joint Exercises and Training Directorate (J7), USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
(Current as of April 2009)