John R. Sammartino, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director of Contracting, Office of Business Plans and Operations, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va. He is responsible for providing professional acquisition support and streamlined, effective and ethical contracting solutions to fulfill NRO mission requirements.
Mr. Sammartino, a New York native, graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1987 and entered government service as an active-duty Air Force officer. He served in a variety of missile operations, contracting and personnel positions. Upon his retirement from the military in 2006, Mr. Sammartino joined the civil service and has served in a variety of positions with increasing responsibility at the NRO. He has worked several key field and staff positions supporting multibillion dollar weapon systems, including joint and multiple service assignments.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in general studies, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1990 Master of Business Administration degree, University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg
1992 Air Force Institute of Technology, Education with Industry Intern Program, Rockwell International, Duluth, Ga.
1993 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 White House Workshop, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air Mobility Command Squadron Commander's Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
2008 Executive Leadership in a Changing Environment, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1987 - August 1992, missile staff officer and instructor combat crew member, 351st Strategic Missile Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2. August 1992 - June 1993, Education with Industry Contracting Program, Rockwell International Corporation, Duluth, Ga.
3. June 1993 - August 1995, executive officer and Manager, Engineering Changes and Foreign Military Sales Airframe Contracts, F-16 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1995 - February 1996, EC-130 Prime Systems Contract Manager, Big Safari Program, Reconnaissance Aircraft Systems Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. March 1996 - October 1999, Chief, Advanced Command, Control and Communications Countermeasures Contracts Branch, Advanced Projects Division, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. November 1999 - July 2001, Chief, Contracting Officer Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. July 2001 - June 2003, action officer and executive officer, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Contracting, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2003 - May 2004, Chief, Space and Acquisition Colonel's Assignments, Air Force Senior Leader Management Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. May 2004 - November 2004, Contracting Officer, Mission Integration and Development Program, Imagery Systems Acquisition and Operations, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
10. November 2004 - August 2005, Team Chief, Imagery Systems Acquisition and Operations Systems Operations Contracts, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
11. August 2005 - September 2006, Team Chief, Imagery Systems Acquisition and Operations Ground Office Contracts, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
12. September 2006 - December 2007, Deputy Director of Contracts, Signals Intelligence Acquisition and Operations Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
13. December 2007 - March 2008, Chief of Staff, Office of Contracts, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
14. April 2008 - January 2009, Director, Advanced Systems and Technologies Contracts, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
15. January 2009 - present, Deputy Director of Contracting, Office of Business Plans and Operations, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
1997 Certified Federal (Associate) Contracts Manager, National Contract Management Association
1998 Contracting Officer of the Year, Electronic Systems Center
2006 NRO Service Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Contract Management Association
U.S. Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
Military Officer Association
Knights of Columbus
Contracting, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Program Management, Level I, APDP
(Current as of May 2009)