Mr. Scott K. Deacon, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is Director of Security, Counterintelligence and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He provides advice to the Administrative Assistant and the Secretary of the Air Force for all phases of security. This includes operational security, information assurance, industrial security, automated information security, personnel security, physical security and counterintelligence oversight as it pertains to Special Access Programs, special compartmented information, foreign liaison and intelligence with special emphasis on technical program development and oversight. Mr. Deacon is also designated as the Director, Air Force Special Access Program Central Office. As such, he executes the authority and responsibility to monitor, review, investigate, analyze, and evaluate the management, operation, performance and processes to maintain compliance with the national security construct for all Air Force Special Access Programs as well as Air Force participation in or support of other government-sponsored SAPs. He Initiates and manages special research, feasibility studies, inquiries and sensitive reviews for Air Force senior leadership. He is responsible for coordinating appropriate counterintelligence support from the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and other agencies as necessary; serves as the focal point for Air Force security support to the White House; provides security enhancements to Air Force personnel supporting sensitive activities; and develops policy in the protection of the Defense Industrial Base.
After completing a 29-year distinguished career and achieving the rank of colonel, Mr. Deacon retired from the Air Force in October 2008. As an Air Force officer and a Special Agent with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Mr. Deacon has conducted, designed, developed and directed complex criminal, fraud, counterintelligence, counterespionage, protective service, physical security and antiterrorism investigations and operations that have impacted on protecting national security. He has developed analytical processes and pioneered criminal investigation, law enforcement and security programs.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in administration of justice, Pennsylvania State University
1984 Master of Forensic Science degree, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1994 Air Command Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2000 Master's degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1979 - August 1980, student, Flying Training Squadron, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. August 1980 - December 1981, special investigative officer, Detachment 1704, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. December 1981 - August 1983, Commander, Detachment 1707, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. August 1983 - October 1984, student, Forensic Science Program, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. October 1984 - August 1987, regional forensic consultant, Lindsey Air Station, Germany
6. August 1987 - September 1990, Commander, Detachment 7033, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
7. September 1990 - June 1992, action officer, AFOSI, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1992 - August 1993, quality officer, Headquarters AFOSI, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1993 - July 1996, Chief, Security and Counterintellignce Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.
10. July 1996 - August 1999, Commander, Detachment 303, Travis AFB, Calif.
11. August 1999 - June 2000, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2000 - July 2001, Chief, Joint Intelligence Support Element, U.S. Central Command, Southwest Asia
13. July 2001 - July 2002, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. July 2002 - June 2004, Commander, 51st Field Investigations Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
15. June 2004 - November 2006, Director, Special Investigations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. November 2006 - July 2008, Commander, AFOSI Region 7, Arlington, Va.
17. July 2008 - present, Director of Security, Counterintelligence and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
(Current as of May 2009)