William J.A. Miller is Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
Mr. Miller was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the cavalry upon graduation from the University of Florida. In his 26-year Army career, he led and commanded U.S. and allied Soldiers from the platoon through brigade level. He has extensive operational experience, including numerous deployments to Kosovo, Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. Mr. Miller served as a squadron and brigade logistics officer and as a division-level plans officer. He also spent four years as a planner at the joint, interagency and combined levels devoted to counterterrorism efforts.
Mr. Miller retired from active-duty service in August 2005 as the Deputy Assistant Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy at U.S. Central Command. Prior to his appointment to the Senior Executive Service in 2007, Mr. Miller was the Chief Operating Officer and primary strategic analyst for Miller-Smith Strategic Solutions, Inc. The company provided direct support to the U.S. Special Operations Command's Center for Special Operations in the development of strategies and plans to support global special operations, as well as to the Army in the development of future concepts and doctrine.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, with honors, University of Florida, Gainesville
1988 Master of Science degree in operations research, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1992 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1993 Master of Military Arts and Sciences degree, School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1. July 1980 - March 1982, platoon leader, Troop C, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, Schweinfurt, Germany
2. April 1982 - December 1982, executive officer, Troop A, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, Schweinfurt, Germany
3. January 1983 - April 1984, logistics officer, 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, Schweinfurt, Germany
4. May 1984 - September 1985, Commander, Troop L, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Bliss, Texas
5. October 1985 - February 1988, operations officer, 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Bliss, Texas
6. March 1988 - April 1993, operations research analyst, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. May 1993 - June 1994, operations plans officer, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.
8. July 1994 - November 1995, operations officer, 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.
9. December 1995 - May 1998, program analyst, Office of the Army Chief of Staff, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1998 - June 2002, Tank Commander, 1st Battalion, 63rd Armor Regiment, Germany
11. July 2002 - July 2004, Commander, 2nd Brigade, 91st Division, Fort Carlson, Colo.
12. August 2004 - August 2005, Deputy Assistant Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy, Headquarters U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
13. August 2005 - August 2007, Chief Operating Officer and primary strategic analyst, Miller-Smith Strategic Solutions, Inc., Tampa, Fla.
14. August 2007 - present, Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two bronze stars
Fellow, Advanced Operational Studies, School of Advanced Military Studies
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Miles for Moffitt Board Member, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
(Current as of June 2009)