Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force James A. Roy represents the highest enlisted level of leadership, and as such, provides direction for the enlisted force and represents their interests, as appropriate, to the American public, and to those in all levels of government. He serves as the personal adviser to the Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, and proper utilization and progress of the enlisted force. Chief Roy is the 16th chief master sergeant appointed to the highest noncommissioned officer position.
Chief Roy grew up in Monroe, Mich., and entered the Air Force in September 1982. His background includes numerous leadership roles at squadron, group, numbered air force and combatant command levels. He has been stationed at locations in Florida, South Korea, Missouri, Guam, Mississippi, South Carolina, Virginia, Kuwait, Japan and Hawaii. He has worked a variety of civil engineer duties. Chief Roy also served as a superintendent of a military personnel flight and a mission support group before becoming a command chief master sergeant at the wing, air expeditionary wing, numbered air force and combatant command levels. Before assuming his current position, he served as Senior Enlisted Leader and adviser to the U.S. Pacific Command Combatant Commander and staff, Camp H. M. Smith, Hawaii. He was appointed to this position on June 30, 2009.
1985 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, MacDill AFB, Fla.
1991 Associate of Science degree in construction management, Park College, Parkville, Mo.
1992 Associate in Applied Science degree in construction technology, Community College of the Air Force
1993 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kadena Air Base, Japan
1993 Associate in Applied Science degree in instructor of technology and military Science, Community College of the Air Force
1996 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
1996 Bachelor of Science degree in engineering management, Park College, summa cum laude, Parkville, Mo.
2000 Master of Science degree in human resources management, Troy State College, Troy, Ala.
2005 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2005 Keystone - National Defense University, Suffolk, Va.
2005 Leadership Team Awareness Course, Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute, Patrick AFB, Fla.
2006 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
2008 Security Assistance Management-Overseas Course, Defense Institute of Security Assistance Management, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1. September 1982 - November 1982, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. November 1982 - February 1983, student, heavy equipment operator, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
3. February 1983 - January 1987, heavy equipment operator, 56th Civil Engineer Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. February 1987 - December 1987, heavy equipment operator, 554th Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
5. January 1988 - May 1992, instructor, instructor supervisor and heavy equipment operator, Detachment 0001, 3770th Technical Training Group, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
6. May 1992 - May 1993, Foreman, Horizontal Construction, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
7. May 1993 - March 1994, Foreman, Heavy Repair, 633rd Civil Engineer Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
8. April 1994 - March 1995, Manager, Heavy Repair, 36th Civil Engineer Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
9. March 1995 - November 1996, Chief, Readiness Flight, 36th Civil Engineer Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
10. November 1996 - July 1997, Chief, Heavy Repair, 36th Civil Engineer Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
11. August 1997 - July 1999, Chief, Facility Maintenance, 81st Civil Engineer Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
12. July 1999 - March 2000, Superintendent, Military Personnel Flight, 81st Mission Support Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
13. March 2000 - September 2000, superintendent, 81st Mission Support Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
14. September 2000 - September 2002, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
15. September 2002 - May 2004, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
16. June 2004 - August 2005, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va. (October 2004 - November 2004, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia)
17. August 2005 - May 2007, Command Chief Master Sergeant, U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
18. June 2007 - June 2009, Senior Enlisted Leader and Adviser, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
19. June 2009 - January 2013, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
1993 John Levitow Award, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
1996 Senior Noncommissioned Officer the Year, 13th Air Force
1996 Ancient Order of Chamorro and a special resolution from Guam's 24th Legislature
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force June 30, 2009
(Current as of April 2013)