Arthur L. Wachdorf is the Senior Adviser for Intelligence and Cyber Operations, 24th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He advises the commander on cyber and intelligence related issues. He develops and refines processes, operational concepts, and organizational constructs for cyber operations in support of Air Force and joint requirements. Mr. Wachdorf serves as a functional expert, coordinating cyberspace related issues with Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command and other joint and national agencies. He establishes and maintains essential relationships within the Department of Defense and civil industry, ensuring the crossflow of information relating to Air Force cyber capabilities and processes. Mr. Wachdorf is a Highly Qualified Expert who will serve in this assignment for three years.
Mr. Wachdorf received his commission in 1977 from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He completed undergraduate pilot training and was subsequently assigned as a T-38 instructor pilot before transitioning to F-15s in 1982. He served in a variety of positions, including flight commander, wing flight safety officer and assistant operations officer. He was qualified as an F-15 flight lead, mission commander and instructor pilot. Mr. Wachdorf also served as the fighter liaison officer for the 3rd Infantry Division, Wurzburg, Germany. In 1994, he was selected as the first commander for the Air Education and Training Command Air Operations Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas. In this capacity, he also served as the AETC senior intelligence officer and was responsible for a variety of operational programs. Mr. Wachdorf transitioned to the Air Intelligence Agency staff, developing the information warfare flight concept and fielding the initial flights. He then moved to the Air Force Information Warfare Center where he stood up and commanded the 318th Information Operations Group. In 2001, he assumed command of the Air Force Information Warfare Center, retiring in 2003.
As a civilian, Mr. Wachdorf continued his involvement in cyber working in industry. He has worked on a variety of cyber and information operations projects including the Joint Information Operations Range, information operations training, and operational concept development.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree in computer science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1982 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1985 Flight Safety Officers Course, Norton AFB, Calif.
1987 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1990 Master of Science degree in information systems management, University of Southern California
1996 Air War College, by seminar
1. May 79 - August 1982, T-38 instructor pilot and check pilot, 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. December 1982 - October 1985, F-15 pilot and Chief, Aircrew Training, 7th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. October 1985 - June 1987, Chief of Flight Safety, 313th Air Division, Kadena Air Base, Japan
4. June 1987 - November 1988, F-15C flight commander, 12th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
5. November 1988 - February 1991, fighter liaison officer and operations officer, Detachment 1, 8th Air Support Operations Group, Wurzburg, Germany
6. May 1991 - March 1992, assistant operations officer, 8th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
7. March 1992 - July 1994, Chief, Pacific Division, Air Force Wargaming Center, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1994 - July 1997, Commander, Air Operations Squadron, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. July 1997 - July 1999, Chief, Combat Applications Branch, Kelly AFB, Texas
10. July 1999 - March 2000, Chief, Operations Support Directorate, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
11. March 2000 - July 2001, Commander, 318th Information Operations Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
12. August 2001 - August 2003, Commander, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. August 2003 - June 2009, Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton, San Antonio, Texas
14. July 2009 - present, Senior Adviser for Intelligence and Cyber Operations, 24th Air Force, Air Force Space Command, Lackland AFB, Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Overseas Ribbon- Long with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Gilligan Award, Air Force Intelligence Reserve and Alumni Organization
(Current as of October 2009)