Doug Bennett, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Auditor General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He also serves as head of the Air Force Audit Agency, which is responsible for all internal auditing in the Air Force. He exercises full administrative and technical supervision over a worldwide organization comprised of more than 600 professional auditors assigned to 50 locations.
Mr. Bennett began his federal career as an officer in the Navy. After completing active duty, he entered the private sector and worked in a variety of finance related positions until 2001 when he was recalled to active duty. At that time he served as the Department Head at the Joint Service Explosive Ordnance Technology Depot Repair Facility until 2003.
Mr. Bennett entered the federal civilian service in 2004 as a staff accountant with the Department of Veterans Affairs. He assisted in the preparation of the financial statements, the annual Performance and Accountability Reports, and worked closely with the auditors to correct material weaknesses. He then served as the Deputy Comptroller for the National Gallery of Art where he helped implement their financial management system. In 2007, he joined the Broadcasting Board of Governors as their Director, Financial Operations, where he oversaw the payments, payroll, travel and financial reporting branches. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Bennett served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y.
1993 Master of Business Administration degree, Boston University, Mass.
1993 Master's degree in economics, Boston University, Mass.
2007 Master of Strategic Studies degree, Army War College, by correspondence
CIVILIAN CAREER CHRONOLOGY
1. 1990 - 1991, export shipping manager, Peabody and Lane Steamship Inc. Boston
2. 1993 - 1995, economist, Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities, Boston
3. 1995 - 1998, senior consultant, KPMG LLP, Washington, D.C.
4. 1998 - 2001, senior treasury analyst, Washington Gas Light Co., Washington, D.C.
5. 2001 - 2003, Department Head, Joint Service Explosive Ordnance Technology Depot Repair Facility, Naval EOD Technology Division, Indiana Head, Md.
6. 2003 - 2004, senior consultant, KPMG LLP, Washington, D.C.
7. 2004 - 2006, staff accountant, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C.
8. 2006 - 2007, Deputy Comptroller, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
9. 2007 - 2009, Director, Financial Operations, Broadcasting Board of Governors, Washington, D.C.
10. 2009 - 2012, Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C
11. 2012 - 2014, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C
12. 2014 - 2017, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. 2017 - present, Auditor General of the Air force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1. 1986 - 1987, student, Naval Diving Salvage Training Center, Panama City, Fla.
2. 1988 - 1990, First Lieutenant, Salvage Officer, USS Kittiwake
3. 1990 - 1995, Diving Officer, NR Mobile Diving Salvage Unit 2 Det. 201, Newport, R.I. (USN Reserve)
4. 1996 - 1999, Officer, EOD Mobile Unit 10, Ft. Story, Va. (USN Reserve)
5. 2000 - 2001, Action Officer, Naval Sea System Command, Crystal City, Fla. (USN Reserve)
6. 2001 - 2003, JS EOD Depot Repair Officer, NAVEODTECHDIV, Indian Head, Md. (USN Reserve)
7. 2004 - 2009, Individual Mobilization Augmentee, Action Officer, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, Washington, D.C. (USN Reserve)
8. 2010-1014, Individual Readiness Reserve
MAJOR CIVILIAN AWARDS
Broadcasting Board of Governors, Gold Medal Award
MAJOR MILITARY AWARDS AND HONORS
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Navy Achievement Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Association of Government Accountants
Institute of Management Accountants
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Defense Financial Manager
Department of Defense Financial Management Certification, Level 3
(Current as of August 2017)