Brig. Gen. Steven J. Arquiette is the Inspector General, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He leads a selectively manned unit validating the command's readiness by inspecting Operational Readiness, Nuclear Surety, Mission Capability and Compliance, Emergency Management, and En route Readiness for 133 active duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve units worldwide, totaling over 132,000 personnel. He ensures a command-wide environment of customer service, continuous improvement, safety, efficiency, and responsiveness to the needs of the command's people and organizations.
General Arquiette served as an enlisted F-4 Phantom radar technician prior to earning his commission in 1986 through the University of Hawaii AFROTC program. The general is a command pilot, having flown multiple air refueling, airlift and special air mission aircraft. The general has served at Headquarters Air Mobility Command as Chief of Regional Operations in the Tanker Airlift Control Center and on the Inspector General team, and at Headquarters U.S. Air Force as a Congressional liaison in the Secretary of the Air Force Office of Legislative Liaison weapons division. Also at the Pentagon, he has served on the Joint Staff in the Operations Directorate (J3) as well as in the Logistics Directorate (J4).
General Arquiette commanded the 99th Airlift Squadron at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., supporting the president, vice president and other dignitaries; the 362nd Air Expeditionary Group, executing C-17 combat airlift and aero-medical evacuation missions for Iraq and Afghanistan; and the 60th Air Mobility Wing at Travis AFB, Calif., the Air Force's largest air mobility wing. He deployed as the Deputy Director of Mobility Forces supporting operations in Central and Southwest Asia.
1986 Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics, University of Hawaii, Honolulu
1993 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Master of Arts degree in business administration and management, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
1999 Distinguished graduate, Master of Arts degree in military operational art, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Senior Manager National Security Course, Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Force Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2010 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1. May 1987 - April 1988, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. September 1988 - December 1990, KC-135A standardization and evaluation pilot, 7th Air Refueling Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
3. December 1990 - July 1994, KC-10A instructor pilot and group executive officer, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. July 1994 - July 1995, operations director, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. July 1995 - July 1996, mobility operations inspector, Office of the Inspector General, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. July 1996 - July 1998, assistant operations officer, flight commander and C-17 pilot, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
7. August 1998 - June 1999, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1999 - April 2001, Chief of Mobility, Trainer and Special Operations Forces Programs, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Legislative Liaison, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. April 2001 - June 2003, Commander, 99th Airlift Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
10. July 2003 - June 2004, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2004 - December 2004, Director of Staff, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
12. December 2004 - May 2005, Commander, 362nd Air Expeditionary Group, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany
13. June 2005 - May 2006, Vice Commander, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
14. May 2006 - June 2008, Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif. (September 2007 - February 2008, Deputy Director, Mobility Forces for the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility, Southwest Asia)
15. July 2008 - October 2009, Chief, Distribution Division, and Deputy Director for Operational Logistics, Logistics Directorate (J4), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. October 2009 - August 2011, Deputy Director of Operations, (J3), Operations Team Two,
National Military Command Center, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2011 - present, Inspector General, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2008 - October 2009, Chief, Distribution Division, and Deputy Director for Operational Logistics, Logistics Directorate (J4), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
2. October 2009 - present, Deputy Director of Operations, Operations Team Two, National Military Command Center, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel and brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3,560
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135A/Q/S, KC-10, C-17A, C-20B/C, C-37A and C-5B/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 27, 1986
First Lieutenant Dec. 27, 1988
Captain Dec. 27, 1990
Major Sept. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Aug. 1, 2004
Brigadier General Nov. 20, 2009
(Current as of January 2014)