Brig. Gen. Richard O. "Skip" Middleton II is the mobilization assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He supports the Deputy Chief of Staff in leadership, management and integration of Air Force logistics readiness, aircraft and missile maintenance, civil engineering and security forces, as well as setting policy and preparing budget estimates that reflect enhancements to productivity, combat readiness and quality of life for Air Force people.
General Middleton earned his commission through the ROTC program at The Citadel in 1980. He has served on active duty, in the Air National Guard, and the Air Force Reserve with assignments primarily in munitions and aircraft maintenance. General Middleton commanded an aircraft generation squadron, an aircraft maintenance squadron and an expeditionary logistics group during Operation Enduring Freedom.
1980 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
1985 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala
1990 Master of Arts degree in economics, University of Oklahoma, Norman
1996 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
2000 Air War College, by correspondence
1. December 1980 - April 1981, assistant chief, Customer Support Branch, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
2. April 1981 - November 1982, munitions accountable supply officer, 341st Field Missile Maintenance Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. December 1982 - December 1984, Chief, Logistics Branch; and emergency actions officer, 7502nd Munitions Support Squadron, Norvenich Air Base, West Germany
4. January 1985 - February 1988, Chief, Munitions Management Branch, Munitions Division, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
5. February 1988 - September 1990, Chief, Airborne Logistics Operations Flight, 2nd Airborne Command Control Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. September 90 - April 1993, Chief, Weapons Safety, 192nd Tactical Fighter Group, Richmond International Airport, Va.
7. April 1993 - April 1994, Chief, Weapons Maintenance Branch, 192nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Richmond IAP, Va.
8. April 1994 - July 1995, officer in charge, Maintenance Control, 192nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Richmond IAP, Va.
9. July 1995 - December 1997, Commander, 192nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Richmond IAP, Va.
10. December 1997 - May 2001, Commander, 192nd Maintenance Squadron, Richmond IAP, Va.
11. May 2001 - September 2001, Director of Support, Headquarters Virginia Air National Guard, Richmond IAP, Va.
12. September 2001 - August 2002, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Director of Aircraft, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. August 2002 - November 2002, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Logistics Group, Southwest Asia
14. December 2002 - November 2004, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Director of Maintenance and then to the Commander, 76th Maintenance Wing, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. November 2004 - March 2007, senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Commander, Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
16. March 2007 - August 2008, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
17. August 2008 - January 2013, mobilization assistant to the Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
18. January 2013 - present, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C. (February 2013 – August 2013, Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill)
Rating: Officer Aircrew Member
Flight Hours: Over 1,700
Aircraft Flown: EC-135C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 17, 1980
First Lieutenant Oct. 10, 1982
Captain Oct. 10, 1984
Major Nov. 1, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 7, 1997
Colonel Aug. 9, 2001
Brigadier General Feb. 2, 2010
(Current as of October 2013)