Mr. Earl R White, a Defense Intelligence Senior Leader, serves as the Special Intelligence Adviser to the Director, Space Protection Program, Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. The SPP is a joint program between AFSPC and the National Reconnaissance Office. The SPP advises Department of Defense and intelligence community leadership on protection options against threats to space systems. Mr. White is responsible for ensuring the SPP has access to the intelligence resources needed to ensure national security space effects are protected to a level appropriate to the risk.
Mr. White served as an Air Force intelligence officer for 20 years, retiring in September 2006 at the rank of lieutenant colonel. His military career included two assignments with the NRO and one with the National Imagery and Mapping Agency. While at NIMA he developed space sensors for intelligence collection and high resolution terrain mapping. He served as the first commander of the Air Force's only space intelligence squadron and Chief of the Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Division of the Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg AFB, Calif. Prior to joining the Air Force, Mr. White was a health physicist with the state of Arkansas, responsible for emergency planning and environmental radiation monitoring around commercial nuclear power facilities.
1980 Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture, University of Delaware
1993 Master of Science degree in electrical engineering, University of Michigan
1993 Master of Science degree in atmospheric and space sciences, University of Michigan
2001 Master of Science degree in military operational arts and science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. 1982 - 1985 , health physicist, Arkansas
2. 1987 - 1989, Chief, U-2 Imagery Analysis, 6306th Reconnaissance Technical Flight, 6th Tactical Intelligence Group, Pacific Air Forces, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. 1989 - 1992, operations officer, Precision Intelligence Photo Laboratory, 544th Target Materials Squadron, Omaha, Neb.
4. 1992 - 1993, student, Armed Forces Institute of Technology, Civilian Institute Research Division, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
5. 1993 - 1994, student, Education with Industry, Environmental Research Institute of Michigan, Ann Arbor
6. 1994 - 1998, Program Manager, Image Intelligence Directorate, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
7. 1998 - 2000, Deputy Program Manager, Shuttle Radar Topography Mission, and Program Manager, GeoSAR Wideband Mapping Aircraft, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Bethesda, Md.
8. 2000 - 2001, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. 2001 - 2003, Chief, Tactical Systems, Directorate of Intelligence, AFSPC, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. 2003 - 2005 , Commander, 614th Space Intelligence Squadron, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
11. 2005 - 2006, systems engineer, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
12. 2006 - 2008, Program Manager, Science Applications International Corporation, Chantilly, Va.
13. 2008 - 2009, senior systems engineer, Agilex Technologies, Chantilly, Va.
14. April 2009 - present, Special Intelligence Adviser to the Director, Space Protection Program, AFSPC , Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
NRO Silver Medal
CIA Outstanding Team Award
John Karo Award, American Society of Military Engineers
(Current as of March 2010)