Brig. Gen. David C. Wesley is the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the principal legal advisor to the AFMC commander and staff. He is responsible for all legal services provided to an organization with some 80,000 personnel who manage $60 billion annually in research, development, test and evaluation while providing the acquisition management services and logistics support required to develop, procure, and sustain Air Force weapon systems.
General Wesley was commissioned in 1984 and earned his law degree in 1987 at the University of Alabama. He has served as Counsel to the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board and the Intelligence Oversight Board. His assignments also include Chief of Professional Development for the JAG Corps and Commandant of the Judge Advocate General's School. General Wesley has been the Staff Judge Advocate for the 4406th Operations Group (Provisional) in Southwest Asia; the 17th Training Wing at Goodfellow AFB, Texas; Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas; and most recently for Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
1984 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
1987 Juris Doctor degree, University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1987 - January 1989, Chief, Military Justice, 305th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom AFB. Ind.
2. July 1989 - July 1991, Circuit Defense Counsel, Yokota Air Base, Japan
3. July 1991 - March 1993, Appellate Government Counsel, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
4. March 1993 - April 1994, Chief, Education and Training Branch, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. April 1994 - July 1995, Counsel, President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board and Intelligence Oversight Board, the White House, Washington, D.C.
6. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1996 - June 1998, instructor, Military Justice Division, Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1998 - July 2000, Staff Judge Advocate, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
9. July 2000 - July 2002, Chief, Investigations, Inquiries and Inspections Division, then Chief, International and Operations Law Division, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. August 2002 - May 2003, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2003 - June 2005, Chief, Professional Development Division, Office of The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2005 - June 2008, Commandant, Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. July 2008 - March 2010, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. April 2010 - March 2013, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. March 2013 - Present, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Presidential Service Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals
Supreme Court of Alabama
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 12, 1984
First Lieutenant Sept. 30, 1987
Captain April 12, 1988
Major April 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2000
Colonel April 1, 2005
Brigadier General April 2, 2010
(Current as of March 2014)