Mr. James M. Shamess is the Senior Adviser for Security Policy and Oversight to the Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is a Highly Qualified Expert supporting the Air Force Senior Security Official and Headquarters U.S. Air Force to develop and implement comprehensive, enterprise-wide improvements. He functions as the senior adviser on security risk, policy and oversight for the Air Force Senior Security Official and other security and counterintelligence directors as well as other Air Force, Department of Defense and interagency forums.
Mr. Shamess concluded his 30-year military career serving as Director of Security Forces, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He was the focal point for force protection within the Air Force and was responsible for planning and programming the security for 30,000 active-duty and Reserve component security forces at locations worldwide. Since his retirement from military service, Mr. Shamess was the Vice President and General Manager of a Fortune 500 company, where he was responsible for integrated security solutions and services. He has also served as president of his own consulting and services firm, helping clients protect critical infrastructure, information, operations and people.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in history, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1978 Master of Science degree in management, Troy State University
1979 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1986 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1992 Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. July 1974 - January 1977, operations officer and Chief, Operations Branch, 6551st Security Police Squadron, Patrick AFB, Fla.
2. February 1977 - July 1979, security police shift supervisor, operations staff officer and officer in charge, later Chief, Plans and Programs Branch, 81st Security Police Squadron, Royal Air Force Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge, England
3. July 1979 - July 1982, Chief, Plans Branch, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
4. July 1982 - July 1985, security police staff officer, later, Chief of Programming and Budgeting, Air Force Office of Security Police, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. July 1985 - February 1986, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
6. February 1986 - July 1988, Commander and Chief of Security Police, 375th Security Police Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 1988 - July 1991, Chief of Wartime Plans and Information Security (J1), Headquarters U.S. European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
8. July 1991 - June 1992, student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
9. June 1992 - June 1994, Commander, 3201st, 646th and 96th security police squadrons, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. July 1994 - November 1995, Chief, Air Base Defense Integration, Directorate of Security Police, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. November 1995 - July 1996, Director of Security Police, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
12. July 1996 - July 1998, Commander, 37th Training Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. July 1998 - July 1999, Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Security Forces Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
14. July 1999 - February 2000, Security Forces Director, Headquarters Air Forces Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. March 2000 - December 2001, Director of Security Forces, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Commander, Air Force Security Forces Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
16. December 2001 - July 2004, Director of Security Forces, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. July 2004 - April 2006, Vice President and General Manager, Integrated Security Solutions and Services, L-3 Communications, Government Services Inc., Chantilly, Va.
18. April 2006 - present, President, 5D Pro Solutions, LLC., Fairfax Station, Va.
19. April 2009 - present, Senior Adviser for Security Policy and Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society Industrial Security International
Defense and Intelligence Council
Former Co-chair, Military Liaison Council
Alliance for Enterprise
Security Risk Management (AESRM)
ASIS President's Commission on Enterprise Risk Management
International Association of Chiefs of Police
Private Sector Liaison Committee
Computer Crime and Digital Evidence Subcommittee
Former Co-chair, Civilian Law Enforcement Military Cooperation Committee and Homeland Defense Committee
Information Systems Audit and Control Association
Operational Security Professional Society
Certified Protection Professional
(Current as of April 2010)