C. Douglas Ebersole, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the principal assistant to the commander and the senior civilian executive responsible for managing the Air Force's $2.1 billion science and technology program along with an additional $2.3 billion of externally funded research and development. He is the senior civilian executive to serve a government workforce of approximately 6,000 people in the laboratory's nine component technology directorates and 711th Human Performance Wing.
Mr. Ebersole entered civil service upon graduation from Purdue University in 1982 and was assigned to the Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. He later served as the Lead Flight Technology Engineer for the F-117A Nighthawk and F-15E Strike Eagle.
In 2000, Mr. Ebersole was selected as the Air Force candidate to the Sloan Fellows Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He returned to Wright-Patterson AFB and served in a variety of assignments including Chief, Special Test Programs Division and Director of Engineering for the F-22 Program. In 2010 he was assigned as the Director of Engineering for the F-35 Joint Program Office, Arlington, Virginia, where he led the Technical Baseline Review which enabled the re-certification of Milestone B. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Ebersole was the Director, Aerospace Systems Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, where he led the Air Force’s science and technology program in propulsion, power and air vehicles for advanced next-generation space, missile and aircraft applications with a work force of 1,800 military, civilian and contractors executing a nearly $700 million annual budget.
1982 Bachelor of Science Degree in Aero/Astronautical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1987 Master of Science Degree in Aerospace Engineering, University of Dayton, Ohio
1999 Advanced Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2001 Master of Business Administration Degree, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
2006 Senior Executive Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. May 1982 - June 1984, performance engineer, Deputy for Engineering, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. June 1984 - May 1985, lead performance engineer, Tactical Systems Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. May 1985 - August 1986, lead aero/performance engineer, F-16 System Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1986 - May 1987, student, University of Dayton, Ohio
5. May 1987 - April 1989, performance group leader, Flight Technology Division, Deputy for Engineering, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. April 1989 - June 1991, lead flight technology engineer, Directorate of Advanced Studies, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. June 1991 - May 1995, lead flight technology engineer, F-15 SPO, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. May 1995 - August 1996, Chief, Systems Integration Product Team, F-15 SPO, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. August 1996 - February 1998, Platform Integration Team Lead, Joint Airborne Signals Intelligence Program Office, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. February 1998 - March 1999, Deputy Director of Engineering and Mission Systems Integrated Product Team Lead, Joint Strike Fighter Support Office, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. March 1999 - June 2000, Chief Engineer, Aging Aircraft Program Office, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. June 2000 - September 2001, Sloan Fellow, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge.
13. September 2001 - January 2003, Chief Engineer, Aeronautical Enterprise Program Office, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. January 2003 - October 2004, Chief, Special Test Mission Division, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. October 2004 - March 2007, Chief Engineer, F-22 SPO, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. March 2007 - May 2010, Director of Engineering, 478th Aeronautical Systems Wing (F-22), ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. May 2010 - Dec 2013, Director of Engineering, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Arlington, Va.
18. December 2013 - October 2015, Director, Aerospace Systems Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. October 2015 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1994 Johnston Award for Excellence in Program Management, ASC/Air Force Association
1995 Team Leader, National Test Team of the Year, AFA
1998 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2003 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2004 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2013 OSD Exceptional Civilian Service Award
Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering, Level III
(Current as of October 2015)